The Institute practices in fundamental and applied research in the fields of micro- and nano-optics, fiber and waveguide optics, ultrafast optics as well as optical engineering.
Current research topics of the research group “Fiber & Waveguide Lasers” concern the development of new concepts for solid-state lasers such as fiber lasers, fiber-optical pulse shaping and the amplification of ultrashort laser pulses.
The tasks associated with the positions are related to the ERC Advanced Grant MIMAS “Multi-dimensional interferometric amplification of ultrashort laser pulses“, which started in mid 2016 at the Institute of Applied Physics. The activities include the investigation of novel concepts for the performance scaling of fiber-based ultrafast laser systems towards multi-10mJ pulse energy and multi-kW average power in amplifying interferometers. The work will include the design of amplifying multi-core fibers, novel fiber geometries and the investigation of thermo-optical effects in high power fiber amplifiers. In addition, the applications of these sources are also in the focus of the research. Motivated by applications in imaging and spectroscopy, high-performance ultrafast lasers will be employed to generate coherent EUV radiation via HHG resulting in short wavelength radiation with unprecedented characteristics.
• Master’s degree or PhD in physics
• Advanced knowledge in fiber optics, laser physics and nonlinear optics
• Advanced knowledge in ultrafast optics
• Knowledge in the field of high harmonic generation
• Knowledge in optical simulation
• Excellent skills in English (written and spoken), at least a basic knowledge in German is desirable
• Ability to work independently as a researcher and effectively in a team
The Friedrich Schiller University Jena is an equal opportunity employer. We also welcome applications from handicapped persons. Please send your application by email with the usual documents under the above mentioned reference number to: Prof. Dr. Jens Limpert, email@example.com