Assistant Professorship (all genders) - Tenure Track
Artificial Intelligence Ethics
TU Wien is Austria's largest institution of research and higher education in the fields of technology and natural sciences. With over 26,000 students and more than 4000 scientists, research, teaching and learning dedicated to the advancement of science and technology have been conducted here for more than 200 years, guided by the motto "Technology for People". As a driver of innovation, TU Wien fosters close collaboration with business and industry and contributes to the prosperity of society.
The Faculty of Informatics at TU Wien
invites applications for a full time Assistant Professor position with tenure track. The position is directed to Artificial Intelligence Ethics and is affiliated to the Institute of Logic and Computation, Research Unit Theory and Logic. The estimated starting date is October, 2023
. The work contract is initially fixed-term. The candidate and TU Wien can agree upon a tenure evaluation after two to six years, which when positive, opens the possibility to change the position to Associate Professor with an unlimited contract.
TU Wien is among the most successful technical universities in Europe and it is Austria’s largest scientific-technical research and educational institution. The Faculty of Informatics, one of the eight faculties at TU Wien, plays an active role in national and international research and has an excellent reputation. The main areas of research include Computer Engineering, Logic and Computation, Visual Computing & Human-Centered Technology, as well as Information Systems Engineering.
The successful candidate will have an outstanding research record in the field of Ethics of Artificial Intelligence (AI), with a strong grounding in symbolic AI methods. The following non-exhaustive list highlights some potential topics. A successful candidate should have experience in at least one (preferably more) of them.
- Computational normative reasoning
- Computational Law
- Formal approaches to responsibility and/or accountability of AI systems
- Formal approaches to fairness and/or transparency in AI systems
- Machine ethics & Human-compatible AI
The candidate should have experience in working with industry, relevant postdoctoral experience, and a compelling research vision. We are particularly interested in candidates working in areas that will complement our existing expertise and lead to fruitful collaborations with other members of the Faculty of Informatics and TU Wien in general.
Besides research, the duties of an Assistant Professor at TU Wien include graduate and undergraduate teaching (in English and German) as well as contributing to usual management and faculty service tasks.
- PhD or doctoral degree in Computer Science, Logic or related fields
- Post-doctoral experience at a university or other research institution
- An outstanding research and publication record
- An excellent reputation in the international scientific community
- Strong interdisciplinary skills and experience in interdisciplinary research
- Experience in raising research funds and managing scientific research projects
- Experience in university teaching
- Excellence in written and spoken English
- Excellence in written and spoken German or willingness to quickly acquire German language skills
- Pedagogic and didactic skills
- Administrative and organizational skills
- Gender sensitivity and social skills desirable
- Leadership skills
- Experience in inter- and crossdisciplinary teaching
- Experience related to regulatory, policy-making, and ethical practices
- Excellent working conditions in an attractive research environment
- An attractive salary, including additional contributions to a pension fund
- Support for relocating to Vienna (if required)
- A position in a city with an exceptional quality of life
- Central location of workplace with very good accessibility (U1/U4 Karlsplatz)
- Additional benefits for employees can be found at the following link: Fringe-Benefit Catalogue of TU Wien
TU Wien is committed to increasing the proportion of women in particular in leadership positions. Female applicants are explicitly encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to women when equally qualified, unless reasons specific to a male applicant tilt the balance in his favour.
People with special needs are equally encouraged to apply. In case of any questions, please contact the confidant for disabled persons at the university, Mr. Gerhard Neustätter.
General information can be found at the following links:
The employment starts as University Assistant with a minimum salary of EUR 4.351,90 gross (14 x per year) according to the collective bargaining agreement for a PostDoc. After signing the qualification agreement, the employment continues as Assistant Professor with a minimum salary of EUR 5.124.20 gross (14 x per year).
We look forward to receiving your application until 16.03.2023.
Applications have to include the following documents:
- A detailed curriculum vitae
- A letter of motivation
- A teaching statement: 2 pages maximum
- A research statement: brief summary of past research activities, as well as a convincing outline of planned research activities, and an explanation of their contribution to the scientific profile of the Faculty of Informatics; 4-6 pages maximum; incl. abstract
- Certificates of doctoral and diploma degrees should be uploaded under the category: +add more documents
- A list of publications and copies of the applicant’s three most important publications related to the position together with an explanation of their relevance should be also uploaded under the category: +add more documents
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us
Carmen Keck | T: +43 1 588 01 406201
Here you can find also relevant information about the application process
TECHNOLOGY FOR PEOPLE
Furthermore, please note that applicants will not normally be reimbursed for travel costs incurred in connection with this admission process.