Assistant Professor Cadastral Intelligence and/or Land informatics
Professors, associate professors, assistant professors and lecturers
38.0 hours per week
€ 3475 - € 5405
University of Twente (UT)
With the increasing global awareness of the need to document and protect the diversity of people-to-land relations through appropriate land administration
solutions, there is an urgent need for expertise to bring together the stronger societal needs and the constantly evolving geospatial technologies. The core
of this is the ability to acquire knowledge and apply technical and social skills about the relationship between people, rights, and land; recently described
as Cadastral Intelligence. This position will broaden the department’s expertise on relevant geospatial technologies (e.g. (land) information systems, (spatial)
databases, web services, mobile apps, big data analytical tools, etc.), while being aware of and sensitive to the societal and organisational context in which
those (potentially) can contribute.
You will conduct international high quality research and contribute to research networks on geo-ICT for (responsible, fit-for-purpose and/or smart) land
administration. You will teach Master’s level coursework, supervise MSc theses and contribute to the development of educational modules and new educational
products (such as blended learning and distance learning packages). You will supervise PhD students in combination with a departmental professor. You will
engage in acquisition and implementation of consulting tasks for the department, regularly in close cooperation with the Netherlands’ Kadaster International
under the School for Land Administration Studies. You will undertake management and administration tasks within the department. You will initiate and acquire
new research and education projects.
Information and application
- You possess a PhD with a focus on the development and deployment of geospatial technologies in the cadastral or land administration domain or in a comparable domain where people are a key stakeholder.
- You have an excellent publication record in the field of cadastral intelligence, land informatics or a comparable people-centered application.
- You also have an understanding for how the social and institutional context interplays with the geospatial technologies.
- You have broad basic knowledge of the thematic fields of the department.
- An aptitude for teaching, including lecturing and tutoring at an academic level.
- A track record in attracting funds to support your research.
- Affinity with a multi-cultural, post-graduate education environment.
- You have undertaken consulting and advisory services in less developed countries, and worked as a project manager.
- You have a willingness to undertake international travel to less developed countries.
- It is desirable that you can demonstrate experience in working across the discipline fields of the department.
- An excellent command of English. Knowledge of, or willingness to learn Dutch is an advantage.
Additional information about this position can be obtained from prof. dr. ir. Jaap Zevenbergen (e-mail: email@example.com
). You are also invited to visit
Please submit your application through the form before 17 September, 2017 (choose "apply here" below). Due to summer holidays, you will receive further
information about the selection procedure after the deadline (17 September, 2017).
Your application has to include (i) a motivation letter clearly stating how you meet the selection criteria and also outlining your research and teaching
interests and (ii) a detailed CV with references.
Conditions of employment
We offer an inspiring and challenging international environment. You will be initially employed for a period of two years. Extension of the employment after this period is a possibility.
The University of Twente.
- Gross monthly salary between € 3475,- and € 5405,- depending on experience and qualifications (job profile Assistant Professor level 1 or 2).
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%
- Excellent support for research and facilities for professional and personal development.
- A solid pension scheme
- Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave
- Minimum of 29 holiday hours in case of full-time employment
We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which drives change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university in the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. The University of Twente has a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out pioneering research.
The Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC)
of the University of Twente provides international postgraduate education, research and project services in the field of geo-information science and earth observation using remote sensing and GIS. The aim of ITC's activities is the international exchange of knowledge, focusing on capacity building and institutional development in developing countries and emerging economies.