Tenure Track Assist. Prof. Educational Sciences Evidence Based Education 1,0 fte
Groningen, Broerstraat 5
Professors, associate professors, assistant professors and lecturers
Behaviour and Society
38.0 hours per week
maximum € 5330
University of Groningen
The Assistant Professor position is situated within the Department of Educational Sciences / Groningen Institute for Educational
Research (GION). This department is responsible for teaching at bachelor and master level. At bachelor level, this includes the
Bachelor Educational Sciences and the Academic Bachelor for Primary School Teachers, a joint programme of the department and
three higher education institutes. At master level, this includes the Master Educational Sciences including an international track
’Evidence based education’, and the Research Master for the behavioural and social sciences. Within the department research is
conducted on learning environments, evidence based education, determinants of school success, and innovation and citizenship.
The position includes research, teaching and organisational & management tasks. The Assistant Professor will contribute to research
in the domain of learning & instruction with a focus on early childhood education. Research encompasses 50% of the position and this
includes the supervision of PhD students.
The position consists for 50% of teaching in the various bachelor and master programmes (e.g., lectures, seminars, internships, theses,
and coordination) with an emphasis on learning & instruction and evidence based education.
The management task concerns the coordination of the master track Evidence Based Education.
The appointee should meet the following minimum requirements for Assistant Professor (UD) as laid out in the Faculty’s tenure track policy:
Conditions of employment
- PhD degree in a relevant field of Behavioural and Social Sciences, preferably Educational Sciences, on a topic relevant for the position
- evidence of research expertise in the domain of learning & instruction
- affinity with evidence based education
- publications in international peer-reviewed scientific journals
- evidence of teaching and student supervision (lectures, theses)
- evidence of designing new courses and/or (parts of) a new programme
- experience with internationalization in higher education
- holds the Dutch University Teaching Qualification or has the willingness to obtain this qualification within the first years of the contract
- command of the English language at C1 level evidenced by publications in peer-reviewed international journals and presentations at conferences
- experience with attracting research funding
- leadership competences and a team player with good communication skills
- the ability to communicate verbally and in written form in Dutch or to learn Dutch if necessary within the first years of the contract.
The University of Groningen offers a salary depending on qualifications and work experience. For candidates at the Assistant
Professor level the salary for a fulltime position ranges from a minimum of € 3,427 (salary scale 11 Dutch Universities) to
a maximum of € 5,330 (salary scale 12) gross per month. The gross salary is excluding 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year
bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees. Favourable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants.
You will be appointed for a fixed-period of six years, on the condition of a positive mid-term evaluation in the third year of
employment (please note that if you have had a previous appointment at the University of Groningen, the length of the employment
may be more limited due to legal constraints). After a positive final evaluation in the sixth year of employment, you will be
granted tenure to Associate Professor. Applicants are advised to consult the criteria of the Tenure Track system, see:
For a detailed overview on the conditions
of employment please visit:
The position is fulltime (1.0 fte). An appointment of 0.8 fte is possible. We expect the candidate to start as soon as possible.
Please send your complete application (in English) as a single PDF file until 20 October / 21 October 2016 (Dutch local time),
by means of the application form (click on ’Apply’ below on the advertisement on the university website). Please upload your
application as ’letter of motivation’ and include the vacancy number at the start of your application.
Applicants are requested to submit:
1. A cover letter including your view on how your research and/or teaching may fit into the department
2. An up-to-date curriculum vitae including a list of scientific publications
3. A short statement of your research accomplishments and future research goals
4. Sample copies of your research (published papers or papers under review)
5. Names and contact details of two academic references.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
University of Groningen
Faculty of Behavioural and Social Sciences
Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has enjoyed an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative
center of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Balanced study and career paths in a wide variety of
disciplines encourage the 30,000 students and researchers to develop their own individual talents. Belonging to the best research
universities in Europe and joining forces with prestigious partner universities and networks, the University of Groningen is truly
an international place of knowledge.
The Faculty of Behavioural and Social Sciences is a center of knowledge focusing on individuals and society. The faculty studies
issues relating to human behaviour, the relationships between people, and society as a whole. This includes the study of how people
function under normal circumstances, but also of the problems encountered by individuals or groups, and how these can be resolved or prevented.
Prof. R.J. Bosker, +31 50 3636631 (secr.)