0.8 - 1.0 FTE
Gross monthly salary:
€ 6,099 - € 8,881
Faculty of Science
15 February 2023
Are you a genome biologist with a drive to translate fundamental insights into novel technologies for science and society? Do you have a thorough understanding of the opportunities for genome technology application in the field of crop breeding and improvement? Then this exciting chance to set up a new research line and Master's degree programme at the Radboud Institute for Biological and Environmental Sciences (RIBES) might be for you.
Radboud University's Faculty of Science is looking to expand its research and education portfolio into the area of technology. A new research line on crop biotechnology will be initiated in the biological sciences, with a focus on translating biological insights into technologies for the advancement of both plant science and agriculture.
You will be expected to perform internationally competitive research on genome engineering linking rapid developments in the fundamental understanding of genome behaviour with a clear vision on technology application in the crop breeding sector. Your impact will be enhanced by collaborations with colleagues in the new biotechnology line, as well as with the Institute's existing plant molecular biology, physiology and systems biology research. Furthermore, we expect to collaborate with the Brightlands Future Farming Institute. While your main focus should be on plants, RIBES and the Faculty of Science offer excellent opportunities for collaborative research on other organisms. Together with your colleagues, you will acquire research and technology development funding from governmental sources and stakeholders.
In addition, you will lead our effort to offer excellent, interdisciplinary Master's level education in crop biotechnology. You will design, coordinate and teach attractive courses and supervise internship projects using modern didactical insights from collaborative and interdisciplinary learning.
As an early member of the new biotechnology research line, you will be involved in the further expansion of academic and support staff. You will be expected to contribute to a safe and friendly work environment and to fulfil an initiating, stimulating and unifying role in the development and implementation of research and study programmes. You will enhance the visibility of the Faculty's technology profile, both nationally and internationally.
- You are ambitious, enthusiastic and passionate about both research and technology development.
- You have a scientific reputation in the field of plant genome engineering, are an active international collaborator and are familiar with plant breeding and biotechnology practice.
- You should be able to attract research funding from diverse national and international funding instruments and stakeholders.
- You have considerable teaching experience in the field of biotechnology and genome engineering, effective teaching skills, and enthusiasm for teaching and working with students.
- You have social, organizational and management skills and a willingness to take on managerial tasks within the research and educational institutes.
- You are proficient in English and are willing to learn Dutch (if applicable).
Radboud Institute for Biological and Environmental Sciences
(RIBES) aims to perform world-leading research in order to understand the response of the natural environment to human impact. RIBES is working on the overarching research mission 'Towards Healthy Ecosystems', with four focus areas: I. Macronutrients and chemicals of emerging concern, II. Physical conditions: understanding responses and adaptation mechanism to stressors, III. Biodiversity decline and recovery of ecological communities, and IV. Mitigation of greenhouse gasses. With the knowledge developed, RIBES contributes to mitigating ecosystem degradation and finding solutions to restore the natural environment. RIBES is nationally and internationally unique as its research encompasses three major groups of organisms (microorganisms, plants and animals) and spans nearly all levels of biological organization. The institute is organized in three clusters: Ecology & Physiology, Environmental Science and Microbiology. RIBES researchers contribute substantially to the Bachelor's and Master's programmes in Biology of the Educational Institute for Biosciences.
The new biotechnology research line will become part of the Ecology & Physiology cluster, which has an enthusiastic and devoted team of academics that closely collaborate in a flat organizational structure. Harmonious and productive collaboration and synergy are key to our success. Our cluster, institute and faculty have state-of-the-art equipment for molecular biology and microscopy, facilities for plant transformation and tissue culture as well as infrastructure for plant cultivation.
Part of the work is expected to take place at Brightlands Campus Greenport Venlo.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
Additional employment conditions
- It concerns an employment for 0.8 - 1.0 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary for an Associate Professor amounts to a minimum of €5,506 and a maximum of €7,362 (salary scale 13 or 14) based on a 38-hour working week. The gross monthly salary for a Full Professor amounts to a minimum of €6,099 and a maximum of €8,881 (salary scale H2). The appointment depends on your scientific track record and experience. An appointment as an Associate Professor with the potential to further develop as a Full Professor is also possible.
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- It concerns a permanent employment.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services. Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 30 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary
. You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
Would you like more information?
For questions about the position, please contact Prof. Dr Michiel Vermeulen, Full Professor, chair of the selection committee at
. Alternatively, you can contact Dr Ivo Rieu, Associate Professor, RIBES Ecology & Physiology cluster at
Practical information and applying
You can apply until 15 February 2023, exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to Prof. Dr Michiel Vermeulen. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- A letter of motivation.
- Your CV.
- A research statement, including a description of how your research will align with the Faculty's technology ambitions and the research programme of RIBES (at most 2 pages).
- A teaching statement, including your long-term vision on teaching and education innovation (at most 2 pages).
- A leadership statement on supervision, management and community efforts (e.g. diversity programmes) (at most 1 page).
The first round of interviews will take place in the first week of March. You would preferably begin employment on 1 September 2023.
We can imagine you're curious about our
. It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.