Associate or Senior Editor (m/f)
Deutschland - Berlin
(Functional organic materials)
UK - London
USA - New York
China - Shanghai
is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted
brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
is the world's largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world's highest impact journals and a pioneer in
the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR
1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan
Education and Springer Science+Business Media.
is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals,
dedicated to serving the scientific community.
is the world's leader in publishing high-quality research from across the natural sciences. Its journals
include Nature, the Nature Research journals, the Nature Reviews journals and Nature Communications
is the leading multidisciplinary Open Access journal, publishing high-quality research from across the
natural sciences. To help us to build on the success of this journal, we're seeking a chemical biology or biomaterials scientist who
has a critical eye, a deep understanding of their subject and interests beyond, and who can think on their feet.
The Associate/Senior Editor role at Nature Communications
is ideal for researchers who love science but feel that a career
at the bench isn't enough to sate their desire to learn more about the natural world, and for those who enjoy reading
papers outside of their chosen area of research.
The responsibilities include:
To be considered for the position, you will have:
- Handling original research papers and working closely with other editors on all aspects of the editorial process, including
manuscript selection and overseeing peer review
- Making well-reasoned editorial decisions on submitted manuscripts in the light of expert advice
- Determining the representation of their subject in the journal
- Liaising extensively with editors at other journals in the Nature family and with experts in the international scientific
- Attending conferences and visiting research institutions
- A PhD (or equivalent) in organic, polymer or organic-inorganic hybrid functional materials. This could include, but is not limited
to, polymers, aerogels, hydrogels, carbon allotropes or composite materials
- Some postdoctoral research experience is preferred. A thorough understanding of the fundamentals of the subject is essential
- A passion for science and a thirst to learn more. You must be able to demonstrate the breadth of your interest in scientific
research, both within your speciality and the wider field of the chemical sciences
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be fluent in English (written and spoken)
- The ability to read and assess the novelty, context and implications of research submitted to the journal from different areas of
- Be eager to travel and meet scientists worldwide, learn more about them and their research, and help them learn more about
us and what we are looking for in the papers we seek to publish
- This role is located in either our Berlin, London, Shanghai or New York office. All applicants must be able to demonstrate the
right to live and work in the respective country to be considered for the position. The position is offered on a full-time,
- Editorial experience is not required, although applicants with significant editorial experience are encouraged to apply and will
potentially be considered for Senior Editor positions
Applicants should include a CV, a covering letter explaining their interest in the post and their preferred office of employment, and
a separate concise (400 words) discussion of recent scientific developments that they found particularly exciting (stating why).
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Varied and interesting tasks
- An excellent working environment with flat hierarchies
- A good work life balance with fair working hours + a generous and flexible vacation package
- Discounted public transport
- Discounted book prices
- An excellent on-site cafeteria
Working Hours: Full-time
Company and Location: Springer Science + Business Media Deutschland GmbH, Berlin
Excited by the prospect of joining us?
We are looking forward to your online application
To find out more information about our organization please take a look at