Arab-German Young Academy
of Sciences and Humanities
Call for Membership Applications
Application Deadline: 2 April 2017
The Arab-German Young Academy of Sciences and Humanities (AGYA) at the Berlin-Brandenburg
Academy of Sciences and Humanities is pleased to announce its Call for Membership 2017.
AGYA promotes research cooperation among outstanding early-career researchers from all disciplines
who are affiliated with a research institution in Germany or any Arab country. The academy provides
partnership-building opportunities and funding to support the innovative projects of its members
in various fields of research as well as in science policy and education. More than 50 members
- in equal number Arab and German scholars - have been selected to join AGYA since 2013.
They have realized joint projects and initiatives in the framework of six interdisciplinary working
groups: Arab and German Education; Common Heritage and Common Challenges; Energy, Water
and Environment; Health and Society; Innovation; and Transformation.
- AGYA offers its members a unique opportunity to take an active part in the life of the
multidisciplinary academy and supports them to implement their own ideas, visions and
creative projects in the framework of Arab-German research cooperation.
- AGYA membership is granted for up to 5 years followed byamembership in a lifelong alumni
network of excellent researchers. Furthermore, AGYAconnects itsmemberswith outstanding
research institutions in Germany and the Arab countries and facilitates collaboration
opportunities. Therefore, AGYA members exclusively benefit from access to an academic
network of excellence.
- AGYA provides funding to realize innovative research projects within its working groups
and in joint projects between Arab and German members.
- Members meet regularly to discuss, develop and implement joint research initiatives on
cutting-edge issues. Travel expenses for AGYA workshops and conferences are covered for
- AGYA offers a range of training opportunities to enhance the academic careers as well as the
interdisciplinary and intercultural skills of its members and promotes them as ambassadors
of science and culture.
- Successful candidates are expected to have a proven record of research excellence in their
field of specialization.
- Candidates with strong potential for academic leadership will be given priority.
- Membership requires active engagement. As AGYA is a working academy, successful
candidates are expected to dedicate a significant amount of time to AGYA activities and the
funded projects they implement in the framework of the academy.
- Commitment to realizing interdisciplinary research projects in collaboration with AGYA
members and other partners is essential.
- Elected members are required to attend the next annual conference of AGYA to be held
in Amman, Jordan in the second half of October 2017.
- Early-career researchers from any field of the Life Sciences, Natural Sciences, Humanities,
Social Sciences, Technical Sciences and the Arts are eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be affiliated with a university or a research institution in Germany or any
Arab country (Algeria, Bahrain, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon,
Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestinian Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia,
Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates and Yemen).
- Applicants should be early-career researchers. At the time of application, the candidate’s
doctoral degree has preferably been conferred upon him/her no less than three and no
longer than ten years.
- Applicants must have full command of English, the working language of AGYA. No knowledge
of German or Arabic is necessary.
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following documents:
- Application form, to be downloaded at: www.agya.info
- CV, including a list of publications
- Letter of motivation
- Two letters of academic references
The documents should be submitted via e-mail as a single PDF file to: email@example.com
The closing date for the submission of applications is Sunday, 2 April 2017