The Max Planck Institute for Terrestrial Microbiology invites applications for a full time position as
Coordinator of the International Max Planck Research School for Environmental, Cellular & Molecular
Microbiology (IMPRS-Mic) and the International Office.
The MPI for Terrestrial Microbiology consists of four departments and several department-independent research groups
and offers a stimulating, interdisciplinary and international research environment. IMPRS-Mic was established in 2003
in close collaboration with Philipps-Universität Marburg. The daily language at the institute is English.
We are seeking an experienced, proactive coordinator to help us to (i) organize the recruitment and training of IMPRS-Mic
graduate students and (ii) to provide administrative support to foreign graduate students and post-doctoral fellows. The
coordinator will closely interact with research group leaders at the MPI and at the university and with the administrations
of the MPI, university and city of Marburg. The coordinator will also be expected to establish a strong network of contacts
to other International Max Planck Research Schools and other relevant graduate schools.
Duties will include:
- coordination the IMPRS-Mic application procedure including announcements and selection of students;
- planning, organization, coordination and continuous development and evaluation of the IMPRS-Mic training program in close cooperation with the scientific faculty;
- assistance in organization of social events for the IMPRS-Mic students, including biannual retreats;
- managing all financial and administrative matters associated with IMPRS-Mic;
- coordination and writing of reports related to IMPRS-Mic;
- maintenance of the online application and data management system as well as of the home page of IMPRS-Mic;
- providing practical and administrative support to foreign graduate students and postdoctoral fellows (e.g. visa issues,
accommodation, health insurance, child care and dealing with MPI, university and public administration).
Applicants (m/f) are expected to hold a PhD degree or equivalent. Preference will be given to applicants who hold a graduate
degree in life/natural sciences. International experience in education, research or research administration is highly desirable.
Previous experience with coordination of graduate training, data management and webpage design are highly advantageous. Applicants
should have excellent communication, organizational and time-management skills and enjoy working proactively and independently.
An excellent command of spoken and written German and English is required.
Salary is according to TVöD at level E13. The position should be filled as soon as possible and it is initially limited to two
years but can be extended depending on performance.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Max Planck Society is committed to employing more individuals with disabilities. We, therefore,
encourage individuals with disabilities to apply. We also seek to increase the percentage of female employees in areas where they
are under-represented. Qualified women are, therefore, strongly encouraged to apply.
More information about the Max Planck Institute and IMPRS-Mic can be found at http://www.mpi-marburg.mpg.de
Further information can be obtained from Prof. Dr. Victor Sourjik, Tel. 06421/2821400; E-mail:
Applicants should send their application in English, including a complete CV and a motivation letter, as a single pdf file by e-mail to:
Applications should be received by December 5th 2016.