The GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies / Leibniz-Institut für Globale und Regionale Studien is seeking to fill
the position of
of the GIGA Institute of African Affairs.
This position is to be combined at the earliest possible date with a permanent
University Professorship at Freie Universität Berlin.
Salary grade: W3
The successful applicant will cover the area of "Governance in Africa" in research and teaching in connection to the position
as Director of the GIGA Institute of African Affairs. As IAA Director, the successful candidate is required to be based in Hamburg.
The directorship (renewable 5-year terms) comes with a permanent researcher position at the GIGA. An appointment
for a permanent professorship at Freie Universität Berlin is also planned. The appointee is thus expected to teach classes
and collaborate with the Otto Suhr Institute of Political Science of FreieUniversität Berlin. The teaching load will be reduced
to one 2-hour course per semester.
Appointment requirements are governed by Article 100 of the Berlin Higher Education Act (Berliner Hochschulgesetz).
Key duties as the Director of the GIGA Institute of African Affairs (IAA) will include:
- provide academic leadership to the IAA (to be developed in conjunction with GIGA‘s Research Programmes as part of the
Institute‘s matrix structure)
- manage the IAA (including duties as member of the GIGA Executive Board and other bodies, mentoring and pastoral
responsibilities towards staff, and responsibility for quality assurance)
- interact closely with policy-makers (especially at the Federal Foreign Office) and provide policy advice
- represent the IAA in the media and to the broader public
- network in area-specific, disciplinary and other relevant professional associations
The position requires the following professional and personal attributes and skills:
- outstanding academic recordwith a clear fit to theGIGA‘s research agenda, demonstrated throughpublications in internationally
recognised peer-reviewed journals and university presses, as well as successful third-party funding acquisitions
- well-established record of working on and with Sub-Saharan Africa, including language skills relevant to the region
- academic training and expertise in Comparative Politics, Political Economy, International Relations, or Political Sociology
- research specialism in one or more of the following topics will be an advantage:
- Political regimes and social movements
- Conflict transformation and mediation
- Growth and sustainable development
- Role of domestic/international norms and ideas
- proven ability to engage in cross-regional, comparative, interdisciplinary, and multilevel analysis
- demonstrated record inmanagement and excellent leadership skills
- strong commitment to impactful research, demonstrated through active policy engagement and knowledge transfer
- agenda-setting presence in established policy and academic networks will be an asset
- excellent English language skills and (if applicable) willingness to learn German in due course
- university teaching experience (preferably international).
The reconciliation of work and family life is of great importance to the Institute. The GIGA promotes gender equality and
actively encourages applications from women. Among equally qualified applicants, women will receive preferential consideration
in those areas in which they are underrepresented.
Please fill out the GIGA application form (found at www.giga-hamburg.de/en/vacancies
) and send it with your full application (Ref.-No. GIGA-17-22)
including a private postal and an email address as well as relevant supporting documentation
(cover letter outlining motivation and suitability for the position, CV, list of publications, evidence of teaching competence,
list of courses taught, evidence of involvement in ongoing and future research endeavors, list of third-party funding acquired,
copies of certificates of academic qualification) to:
Denise Sablinski, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies,
Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg, Germany
(email applications are particularly welcome).
Screening of applications will begin on 20 November 2017.
For further information, please visit the GIGA homepage (www.giga-hamburg.de
or contact Julia Kramer (email: email@example.com
, phone: +49 (0)40 – 42825-540).
Weitere Informationen zur Leibniz-Gemeinschaft
finden Sie unter www.leibniz-gemeinschaft.de