(Personnel Service Agreement - PSA)
United Nations University - International Institute for Integrated Management of Material Fluxes and of Resources (UNU-FLORES)
Director, United Nations University - International Institute for Integrated Management of Material Fluxes and of Resources (UNU-FLORES)
Floor, World Trade Centre,
Dresden, 01067 GERMANY
By E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
11 November 2016
United Nations University Objectives:
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars, engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development and dissemination of knowledge in furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States. For more information, please visit http://unu.edu
United Nations University - Institute for Integrated Management of Material Fluxes and of Resources (UNU-FLORES):
The mission of UNU-FLORES is to contribute to the development of integrated and sustainable management strategies for the use of water,
soil and waste resources in particular in developing and emerging countries in scientific, educational, managerial, technological and
institutional terms. Potential issues of focus include: urban water management, nutrient cycles and budgets, methods for reclamation and
rehabilitation of degraded sites, site-specific river-basin scale water management; interaction of land use management and water inventory
under differing climate conditions, efficient site-adapted waste management strategies, among others. The Institute develops innovative
concepts for target- and region-specific knowledge transfer as well as appropriate methodologies and approaches for postgraduate and
professional education. The Institute is located in Dresden, Germany.
In 2016, UNU-FLORES will continue its mission and support the policy relevant research and capacity development. The institute has launched
a joint Doctoral programme (PhD) together with Dresden University of Technology (TUD).
For more information please visit http://flores.unu.edu.
Under direct supervision of the Director of UNU-FLORES, and in close collaboration with Heads of Units (Administration and Programme) and
project partners as needed, the Executive Associate provides direct support to the Director in a wide range of management tasks. The incumbent
builds and maintains strong internal and external communications and relations for the overall effectiveness of the management of the institute
and will carry out the following tasks:
1. Coordinates the work of the Office of the Director (OD) focusing on achieving the following results:
- Support the Director in full scope of management issues of OD;
- Monitor the scheduling and planning of the daily and long-term calendar for the Director, maintaining particularly close oversight of
travel commitments and speaking engagements; Coordinate the timely preparation of and effective follow-up on the Director’s official missions and external/internal engagements;
- Track priority tasks of the Director, coordinate and/or research programme and policy issues to facilitate decision-making processes;
- Facilitate the maintenance and development of relationships with key partners including the preparation of Memoranda of Understanding (MoU),
cooperation agreements, fundraising proposals etc.;
- Coordinate and facilitate the annual work planning of the OD and ensure stock-taking and adjustments, as required, in regular intervals;
- Plan, co-ordinate, and prepare major institutionally focused meetings and international events including the preparation of reports for the
annual Advisory Committee Meeting, the bi-annual CONDIR meetings, the UNU Council session, etc.;
- Participate in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of programme and projects, through monitoring and analysis, review of
documents and reports, identification of problems and issues to be addressed and proposal and tracking of follow-up actions;
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources;
- Supervise personnel in the Office of the Director;
- Perform supervisory functions as required.
2. Coordinates effective internal/external communications and public relations tasks for the OD at all levels, focusing on achieving the following results:
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Organize Senior Management meetings and act as Secretary, ensuring timely organization, agenda setting, effective facilitation and comprehensive follow-up;
- Ensure internal knowledge sharing and management including information sharing with all staff and units on issues of relevance for the effective management of the institute;
- Identify and monitor legal issues for the institute and liaison with UNU-HQ;
- Oversee incoming and outgoing correspondence with UNU-HQ, UN Secretariat and other partners, including internal UNU-FLORES follow up and deadlines;
- Liaise on effective external communication with partners on behalf of the Director, with respect to missions, travel, engagements and participation in events;
- Participate in specific partnership building activities on request of the Director;
- Carry out other tasks that may be assigned by the Director.
- First level university degree in Business Administration, Natural/Social Sciences, or other fields relevant to the functions of the position;
- Minimum three (3) years of progressively relevant professional work experience in the field of executive office, administration or in a related
area with a minimum of two (2) years at the international level;
- Ability to communicate clearly and efficiently with high level stakeholders;
- Prior experience managing and coordinating multi stakeholder projects is desirable;
- Proven skills to work in teams and generate innovative, practical solutions to challenging situations;
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office applications;
- Outstanding presentation, writing, and reporting skills;
- Strong planning and organization skills, ability to work independently, take initiatives and prioritize work tasks;
- Flexibility and ability to work under pressure and complete tasks within given timeframes;
- Excellent communication skills with fluency in spoken and written English. Working knowledge of German is a strong asset; knowledge of another United
Nations official language would be advantageous.
- Good team player with strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity
and respect for diversity.
Remuneration will commensurate with qualification and experience of the successful candidate.
Duration of Contract:
This is a full time employment (40 hours per week) on a one (1) year Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with UNU-FLORES,
with the possibility for renewal subject to fund availability and satisfactory work performance. The combined duration of appointment shall not exceed six (6) years.
The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil servant status nor be a
"staff member" as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations.
As soon as possible.
Interested applicants should submit their applications, preferably by email to email@example.com
or mail before
the application closing date, and must include the following:
- A cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position;
- A curriculum vitae and a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form downloadable from the
UNU website. Please avoid using
similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations;
- An indication of the reference number of the vacancy announcement (2016/UNU/FLORES/PSA/EA/81);
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Unsuccessful applications will neither be acknowledged nor returned. Please note that
applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of
equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8)