Laser Technician (1 Fte)
Technical, Laboratory positions
38.0 hours per week
€ 2672 - € 4028
Higher Professional Education
University of Twente (UT)
Laser sources are applied for material processing like welding, surface treatments and for micro- and nano-manufacturing.
In comparison to conventional technologies, processing materials with lasers is fast, accurate, flexible in terms of the
type of material to be processed and product geometry, as well as relatively easy to automate. The Chair of Laser Processing,
at the University of Twente, studies the fundamentals of laser-material interaction both theoretically and experimentally,
in order to optimize laser-based manufacturing. The Chair is embedded in the department of Mechanics of Solids, Surfaces
and Systems (MS3) of the Faculty of Engineering Technology. At the Chair of Laser Processing there is a vacancy for a
full-time position of Laser technician.
As a Laser technician you will be responsible for the daily operational and maintenance aspects, as well as safety aspects
(safety officer) of two laser laboratories: a lab equipped with high power lasers and multi-DOF robots; and a clean-room hosting
(ultra) short pulsed laser sources. You will design and implement experimental setups including laser source(s), other opto-
and mechanical components, electronic components and software. You will also be involved in experimental feasibility studies,
as well as (practical) teaching and training of researchers and students.
- a Masters degree, or a Higher Vocational Education (HVE) degree and have achieved academic skills and capabilities through
experience in Photonics or Physics or Mechanical Engineering, or Electrical Engineering,
- some years of hands-on experience in:
- Design, implementation & testing of (scientific) experimental setups, including laser source(s), as well as operating and maintaining these setups.
- Electronics, manipulators (e.g. fast and accurate stages and galvo-scanners) and software including (embedded) programming skills such as Python, C and Matlab.
- Sample preparation and analysis, including but not limited to optical microscopy, SEM, confocal microscopy and AFM.
- Daily operational & maintenance of a (laser) laboratory, including managing of safety risks, preventive maintenance, managing supplies and consumables, etc.
- Supporting researchers, as well as (bachelor and/or master) students.
- You are highly motivated, self-reliant and possess the communication skills and intellectual curiosity to thrive within a multidisciplinary
research team. You have excellent analysis skills and an analytical mind-set.
- You can use English effectively. In order to interact meaningful with our industry partners, Dutch language skills are required. Therefore,
non-Dutch speaking candidates will be supported in the form of language classes.
Information about the Chair of Applied Laser Technology is available at:
For more information about this vacancy you can contact prof.dr.ir. Gert-willem Römer +31 (53) 4892519, email:
Please send your application, with a curriculum vitae, a motivation letter, a list with courses (and grades) attended,
references and, if applicable, a list of publications through the link below no later than March 22th, 2017.
Conditions of employment
We offer a challenging technician position in an inspiring multidisciplinary environment. You will be appointed in a
full-time position at the University of Twente. In accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement (CAO) for Dutch
Universities the gross monthly salary for this position will range from € 2.672,- to € 4.028- , depending on your
experience and qualifications. The University of Twente provides excellent facilities for professional and personal
development, a holiday allowance (8%) and an end-of-year bonus (8.3%) and a number of additional benefits.
The University of Twente
. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which drives change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university in the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. The University of Twente has a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out pioneering research.
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET)
is one of the five faculties of the University of Twente. ET combines Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. Our faculty has approximately 1800 bachelor and master students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates. The departments of the faculty cooperatively conduct the educational programmes and participate in interdisciplinary research projects, programmes and the research institutes: MIRA, CTIT, SBE and IGS.