Start your mission with DLR.
The German Aerospace Center DLR has a dual mandate as the national research center for aeronautics and space, and as the space agency of the
German federal government. Approximately 8,000 people work for DLR on a uniquely diverse range of topics spanning the fields of aeronautics,
space, energy, transport and security research. They collaborate on projects extending from fundamental research to the development of the
innovative applications and products of the future. If the idea of joining a top-class team of researchers working in a supportive, inspirational
environment appeals to you, then why not launch your mission with us?
For our German Trainee Programme (GTP) in cooperation with ESA Headquarters, Paris, France, we wish to recruit a
Master in Law
Have you (almost) completed your degree studies? Are you inspired by space exploration and keen to pursue a career in this exciting field?
If so, perhaps you should take a closer look at the German Trainee Programme. Organised by DLR, it offers you the chance to work shoulder
to shoulder with experts from the 22 member states of ESA - keeping your finger on the pulse of Europe’s space programmes. Over a period
up to 24 months, you will actively contribute to the latest research and/or technology projects. This is complemented by a generous scholarship.
What better way to launch your career in international space business? The next GTP commences on 1 February 2018
This is your opportunity to join the team at ESA Headquarters, Paris, France
GTP-2018-IPL-LI - Institutional Law
The Institutional Law
Division is especially responsible for:
- providing legal advice on the interpretation and application for the ESA Convention
- drafting, updating and giving advice on the financial and contractual frameworks, and the General Clauses and Conditions for ESA Contracts
- proposing the Agency’s policy of intellectual property rights and dealing with legal questions in this field
- safeguarding the proper application of the Agency’s privileges and immunities
- managing legal disputes before national and international jurisdictions
- monitoring the international civil service and labour laws of jurisdictions in which ESA establishments and centres are operating
Under the direct authority of the Head of the Institutional Law Division, the Legal trainee shall receive work assignments within the scope of the Division’s mission and discharge mainly the following tasks:
Please apply by 6 September 2017.
- analyse and organise legal documentation and carry out studies on the relevant legal and regulatory environment in which the Agency carries out its activities
- undertake legal analysis, prepare notes and briefs on public and international law, national laws of Member States
- provide support in preparing the defence of the Agency’s position in disputes
- provide legal advice on questions of international and national labour law
- undertake legal research, prepare and negotiate agreements and contracts on intellectual property rights
- prepare draft agreements and other arrangements, with public and private entities and participate in their negotiation, together with the colleagues from his/her Department and Directorates concerned
- German citizenship is absolutely necessary
- applicants should have just completed (conclusion not older than two years) or be in their final year of a university course at Master’s level in law,
including studies in international law, EU law or comparative law
- applicants should have just completed (conclusion not older than two years) either the Second State Examination in Law or a university course at Master’s level in Law
- candidates, who are in the final year of their training, may be considered in cases of exceptional qualifications
- basic knowledge of public and international law is required. Experience in drafting or analysing international agreements or contracts is deemed advantageous
- candidates must be fluent in English or French, the official languages of the agency
If you have any questions concerning specific aspects of the job, please contact Larissa Seidlez email@example.com
Please find further information on this vacancy with the reference number GTP-2018-IPL-LI , and details regarding the
application procedure, at