PhD Position in Political Science
(part-time 65 %, E 13 TV-L)
Reference No: 2023/059. The start date is October 1st, 2023 or by agreement. The position is available for three years.
The University of Konstanz is one of eleven Universities of Excellence in Germany. Since 2007 it has been successful in the German Excellence Initiative and its follow-up programme, the Excellence Strategy.
The position is available as part of the project “Transparency in Content Moderation.” The project studies the transparency efforts in content moderation of social media companies, and is funded by a Max Planck/Alexander von Humboldt Research Award to Professor Margaret Roberts. The successful applicant will be involved in collecting social media data, processing the data, and conducting research within the project's framework. The project is led by Professors Margaret Roberts (UC San Diego), Yannis Theocharis (TU Munich) and Nils B. Weidmann (Konstanz). The working language is English.
- Development of a new research project and data collection on content moderation policies
- Scraping of social media
- Design, analysis, and presentation of research project and results
- A research background in digital politics
- Experience in statistical analysis with R
- Experience in Python programming is an asset
- Strong written and oral communications skills in English
- an excellent international project team
- a project that studies a highly relevant issue using computational tools
- a work environment at one of the universities within the framework of Germany's Excellence Initiative
- participation in our PhD program, the Graduate School of the Social and Behavioral Sciences
Questions can be directed to Professors Margaret Roberts, firstname.lastname@example.org
or Nils B. Weidmann,
We look forward to receiving your application documents until April 15th 2023
Online Application Portal
. Please include a letter of motivation that details your research interests, a CV and a writing sample, as well as the names of two references we can contact.
The University of Konstanz is committed to ensuring an environment that provides equal opportunities and promotes diversity as well as a goodbalance between university and family life.
As an equal opportunity employer, we strive to increase the number of women working in the fi eldadvertised (https://www.uni-konstanz.de/en/equalopportunities/
). Persons with disabilities are explicitly encouraged to apply. They will be given preference if appropriately qualified (email@example.com
, +49 7531 88-4016).