Leuphana University Lüneburg (foundation under public law), Faculty of Sustainability, invites applications
for the position of a
Post-doctoral Research Associate
(Wissenschaftliche/r Mitarbeiter/in), salary group E 13 TV-L, full time
Global Environmental Policy and Governance Analysis
starting 1 June 2017 or later for a duration of 36 months. The position is appointed in the framework of a
three-year research project funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG):
Governance of Environmental Sustainability in Telecoupled Systems
of Global Inter-Regional Connectedness (GOVERNECT)
The project will be jointly situated at Leuphana University Lüneburg, Chair of Governance and Sustainability
(Prof. Dr. Jens Newig, Dr. Edward Challies) and at the University of Osnabrück, Chair of European Integration
(Prof. Dr. Andrea Lenschow), involving two post-doc positions in total.
GOVERNECT will study the governance of global interconnections between distant regions ('telecoupling').
Drawing on the literatures on global environmental governance, social-ecological systems, global production
networks, multilevel and polycentric governance, and policy coherence and integration, we ask: How
can unsustainable telecoupled systems be effectively governed towards sustainability? How do states, civic
and private sector actors approach this challenge? Empirically, the project will conduct one in-depth case
study (soy commodity chain between Brazil and Germany, post-doc situated in Osnabrück), and around 15
comparative case studies (post-doc situated in Lüneburg). GOVERNECT will develop explorative-strategic
governance scenarios, engaging with relevant stakeholders and speculating on the plausibility, the likely
effects, and the interactions of potential governance options. GOVERNECT is the first project to systematically
address the governance and policy challenges of global telecoupling.
A project summary is available at http://www.sustainability-governance.net/governect
Tasks and responsibilities of the Post-doc situated at Leuphana University Lüneburg include:
- Participation in a high-profile research project with resources for field research and conference trips;
- A vibrant interdisciplinary research environment with excellent contacts to international research groups.
The successful candidate
- Approx. 15 comparative case studies on the governance of telecoupling (e.g. commodity chains, human
migration, or other global flows), drawing mainly on available documents and key expert interviews
- Empirical analysis of flows, actors, networks and environmental impacts
- Policy and governance analysis of existing institutional regimes on multiple levels
- Conceptual work, e.g. systematic review on governing globalized environmental issues
- Preparation and delivery of project workshops
- Development of governance scenarios in collaboration with high-level policymakers
- Preparation of articles to be published in international academic journals
should have a PhD in the social sciences (e.g. political science, planning, human
geography, resources management) or interdisciplinary environmental (social) sciences.
Desired personal attributes include (please provide evidence for each of these in 100-200 words):
- Very good English language communication skills (written and oral)
- Publication experience in English language
- Experience with analysis of global and/or multi-level governance systems
- Experience with comparative case study analysis
- Experience with Qualitative Comparative Analysis (QCA) or other formal comparative methods would be
an additional asset (but not essential).
Applicants should submit a cover letter (including evidence on the above-mentioned personal attributes with
100-200 words each), their CV; up to three writing samples; relevant certificates and transcripts (incl. Abitur
/ high school); and the names of up to three academic referees by 01 May 2017
as one single PDF to:
Leuphana University Lüneburg, Personalservice, z.H. Frau Severloh, Kennwort: GOVERNECT, Scharnhorststr.
1, 21335 Lüneburg, Germany, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
. For questions about the position
please contact: Prof. J. Newig (email@example.com
) or Dr. E. Challies (firstname.lastname@example.org
Leuphana University Lüneburg is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering heterogeneity
among its staff. Applications by qualified individuals are strongly encouraged. Disabled applicants with
equal qualifications will be given priority consideration. http://www.leuphana.de/en/home