At the Max Planck Campus Tübingen we are looking for a
Press Officer (m/f/div, 100%)
The press officer manages external media relations and plays a central role in creating and implementing a comprehensive communication strategy, in particular for the Max Planck Institute for Biology Tübingen and the Friedrich Miescher Laboratory (FML).
You will play a key role in promoting research news for both institutes, you enhance the awareness and understanding of their research. You will support the communications team in providing professional media work for all aspects of its PR activities.
- Researching, writing, editing, and issuing news releases and stories on all aspects of the work of the MPI for Biology Tübingen and FML for various media channels (online, print, broadcast)
- Proactively seeking and developing news stories from around both institutes, focusing on research and articles that could appear in the national and international media
- Co-management of our digital platforms, including content development and managing of web pages and social media channels
- Development and implementation of an internal and external communication strategy (target audience, channels, timing, media monitoring)
- Lead on production of the monthly internal newsletter and other internal communications activity
- Develop inspiring stories for our employee magazine Max Mag and engage in editorial opportunities of Max Planck Research / Max-Planck-Forschung, our research magazine facing the external audience
- Provide communications support on internal as well as external events, including townhall meetings, media roundtables, scientific talks, and public events
- Responding to media enquiries on behalf of the institutes
- A PhD in biology or another life science and/or equivalent experience
- A proven and successful track record of relevant work experience in media relations
- Significant further qualifications in PR and science communications are of advantage
- Excellent English (native or C2 level) and German language skills
- Strong written communication skills to create a wide variety of communication materials, especially external news items
- Excellent verbal skills to translate complex topics and to communicate with our researchers, colleagues at the Max Planck Society, as well as with external stakeholders
- Digital awareness about tools and processes as well as the appropriate application in PR and marketing
- Proven experience in efficiently planning and executing multiple parallel projects within a fast-paced environment
- Ability to pay attention to details and excellent organizational skills to ensure that matters are dealt in a timely manner
- Excellent IT skills: Microsoft Office is required; knowledge of handling content management systems, Adobe Premiere and Adobe Audition is a plus
The communications team
The press officer will be part of an agile team that takes on new and exciting communication tasks every day. The communications team manages internal and external communications and enhances the local, national, and international reputation of the MPI for Biology, the MPI for Biological Cybernetics, and the FML. A central focus of the team lies on supporting researchers in promoting the results, benefits, and impact of their cutting-edge research. We aim to inform and inspire a broad audience and to expand networks and facilitate conversations.
What we offer
The position is available from the earliest date possible and is initially limited to two years with the possibility of an extension.
Salary is determined following the salary scale of the German TVÖD Bund, including an employer-financed company pension scheme. We offer flexible working hours and the possibility of mobile working. You will also benefit from a wide range of education and training opportunities, company health management, job ticket allowance, and a day care center on campus.
The Max Planck Society is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals.
The Max Planck Society endeavours to achieve gender equality and diversity. Furthermore, the Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.
How to apply
Applications should contain the following:
- Cover letter, explaining your interest in and fit to the position
- CV, including contact information for two references
- Work samples from science communication (if possible, at least two each in German and English)
- Relevant certificates
Please submit your application on our online job portal under the following link: https://jobs.tue.mpg.de/jobs/203
March 31, 2023
If you have any questions about the position, please contact:
Head of Communications
Phone: 07071 601-777