Located in the heart of the German capital, the state-recognized
German International University (GIU)
) opens its doors to attracting global talents and opportunities. The GIU expands its campus in Berlin-Tegel as a hub for education and research cooperation with German and international partners in science and industry and to develop innovative courses of study and research. The language of instruction is English.
Faculty of Design
invites applications for the following position effective September 2023 (or later). Appointment is possible also for 50% of the working time.
The successful candidate will engage in teaching, research, supervision and administrative duties. She/he will establish and lead a research group in the field of Media Design, actively promote graduate and undergraduate research, and attract third-party funded projects in any chosen areas of interest in Design. Teaching covers design, technological and methodological content for the development and implementation of products, processes and services in the field of digital media. The professor should oversee the establishment of specific Media Design Labs as well as engage in academic collaboration with partner universities. She/he will represent the field of media design, in particular interactive media-based systems. The position requires close cooperation with the degree programs in Graphic Design und Product Design.
- Doctorate/PhD or equivalent qualification or evidence of conducted research
- Compliance with § 100 of the Berlin Law on Higher Education
- Solid experience and a proven track record preferably in the following fields:
- Practical background in connected user experiences and user engagement strategies; design of interactive based media systems, with an emphasis on human-centered and participatory design
- Extensive experience in the field of Interface Design for mobile applications and responsive web-based solutions with a focus on graphic layout, typography, and the development of visual language systems
- Knowledgeable of contemporary prototyping tools such as Adobe XD, and Figma
- Knowledgeable of currently relevant developments and trends in the field of interactive technologies and media design as well as their impact on course content
- Theoretical background in user centered research methods and Service Design, in particular Usability Engineering
- Promoting expansion of time-based media (film, video and audio) both organizationally, structurally, and in terms of content (documentary/narrative)
- Track record of collaboration, ability to attract funding, and successful supervision
- Proven teaching and practical expertise in diverse areas of Media Design, i.e. analysis, concept development, iterative design processes, requirements of design implementation
- High capacity to develop pedagogical innovations and to manage a study program
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written, presentation)
- Proficiency in English (oral and written)
Interested applicants are invited to submit their curriculum vitae including employment history, a statement outlining research and teaching interests, list of publications, teaching evaluation, projects undertaken and names of at least three referees. Inquiries and applications are to be sent to
(kindly state the job title in the subject).
Applications will be reviewed until position is filled
. For immediate consideration, submit applications until 31st of March 2023.
For more information, please visit