Scientific Staff (prae doc) at the Department of Structural and Computational Biology
The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 179 fields of study, approx. 10.000 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position as soon as possible of a
Scientific Staff (prae doc)
at the Department of Structural and Computational Biology
Reference number: 12811
Open PhD student position to study liquid-liquid phase separation in biology
The Laboratory of Molecular Biophysics led by Bojan Zagrovic at Max Perutz Labs & University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria, is looking for a motivated PhD student to study the fundamental aspects of liquid-liquid phase separation in biological systems using computational and theoretical approaches. In particular, in close collaboration with experimentalists, the student will use molecular dynamics (MD) simulations as well as conformational entropy and free-energy calculations to study the microscopic structure, dynamics and thermodynamics of phase-separated protein condensates and the ways they are affected in the presence of nucleic acids. We are in particular trying to understand the specificity determinants in RNA-protein interactions within biomolecular condensates. The PhD position would be embedded within an already funded FWF doctoral program Ellipse and would be associated with the Vienna Biocenter Doctoral School. Students with backgrounds in molecular biology, chemistry, physics, bioinformatics or related disciplines are encouraged to apply.
- Participation in research, teaching and administration
- Participation in research projects / research studies
- Participation in publications / academic articles / presentations
- Participation in teaching and independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement
- Supervision of students
- Involvement in the organisation of meetings, conferences, symposiums
- Involvement in the department administration as well as in teaching and research administration
We expect the successful candidate to sign a doctoral thesis agreement within 12-18 months.
- The ideal candidate should have a Master degree in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Structural Biology and/or related areas.
- Knowledge of production and purification of protein
- Knowledge and experience in the reconstitution of multi-subunit protein RNA complexes (RNPs), modelling and display of protein structure
- mammalian cell culture techniques
- High ability to express yourself both orally and in writing
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- IT user skills
- Ability to work in a team
- You need to have successfully passed a PhD selection
- Letter of Motivation including ideas for a prospective doctoral project proposal
- Curriculum vitae
- List of publications, evidence of teaching experience (if available)
- Degree certificates
Main research field
Special research fields
Biology, Botany, Zoology
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (
http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 23.07.2022, mentioning reference number 12811.
For further information please contact Zagrovic, Bojan +43-1-4277-52271.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.