Dia Art Foundation, Senior Curator
Dia Art Foundation, based in New York City, is committed to advancing, realizing, and preserving the vision of artists. A nonprofit founded in 1974, Dia fulfills its mission by commissioning single artist projects, organizing exhibitions, realizing site-specific installations, and collecting in-depth the work of a focused group of artists of the 1960s and 1970s.
Dia seeks a Senior Curator with at least ten years of experience to join its expanding curatorial team in New York City. This newly created position will be responsible for conceptualizing, developing, and delivering long-term, project-based presentations of contemporary art, monographic exhibitions, and presentations of Dia’s collection. Reporting to the Chief Curator, the Senior Curator will be a key member of the curatorial department, developing authoritative scholarship and recommending potential acquisitions that advance Dia’s mission.
- Coordinate and manage exhibitions and public programs at Dia, ensuring efficient and cost-effective delivery of programs
- Work closely with the Director and Chief Curator to develop plans for growth and development of Dia’s collection through gifts and acquisitions
- Collaborate with the Chief Curator and Publications Manager on production of books
- Work closely with the Senior Registrar in researching and managing Dia’s collection, and work with the curatorial team in the development of budgets, checklists, contracts, floor plans, loans, and schedules
- Maintain and develop a network of contacts among artists, artists’ estates, authors, critics, gallerists, scholars, and colleagues at other institutions
- Provide art-historical guidance with respect to didactic materials, grant applications, press releases, printed materials, publications, and tour guide trainings
- Lead tours and presentations of exhibitions
- Supervise assigned duties, overall responsibilities, and performance evaluations for Associate and Assistant Curators
- Prepare detailed project budgets for exhibitions and programs in consultation with the Senior Registrar and Chief Operating Officer
- Act as a spokesperson for Dia when dealing with inquiries, attending events, or participating in interviews and talks, as well as when receiving special visitors
- Collaborate with colleagues on the transmission, advancement, and organization of Dia’s programs
- Develop relationships with current and potential funders
- MA or PhD in art history or the equivalent and at least ten years of prior museum-related work experience is required
- Demonstrable knowledge of and involvement in international contemporary art with a particular emphasis on emerging artists
- Strong organizational skills and experience managing staff and budgets
- Willingness and availability to travel internationally
Dia provides a competitive salary and a generous benefits package including health, life, and disability insurance plans, a 401(k) plan with company match, and paid time off.
Qualified applicants may apply for this position by e-mailing a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
with “Senior Curator” as the e-mail subject heading. This position will be open until filled, however, candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Dia is an equal opportunity employer.
Dia Art Foundation
535 West 22nd Street New York New York 10011
212 989 5566 Fax 212 989 4055 www.diaart.org