Two Pre-Doctoral Researchers (f/m/d)
for the ifo Center for Labor and Demographic Economics
The ifo Center for Labor and Demographic Economics is inviting applications for two Pre-Doctroal Research positions. The pre-doctoral researchers will work under the supervision of Helmut Rainer and Maria Waldinger and will be involved in ongoing and new empirical projects in the areas of applied microeconomics and the economics of climate change.
The positions offer the opportunity to become acquainted with a broad range of research topics and econometric methods, and are ideally suited for candidates aiming to prepare for a PhD in economics.
The ifo Center for Labor and Demographic Economics deals with open questions in family and labor economics. The goal is to establish causally identified research results and thus inform policy makers and the public about the cause-effect relationships underlying the most pressing social problems of our time.
The ifo Institute is one of Europe’s leading economic research institutes. Research at ifo combines academic excellence with economic policy relevance. Our faculty and postdoctoral researchers publish their work in high-impact journals and use their findings to bring scientific perspectives into policy debates. The scope of our research is broad, covering most fields in economics.
Do you want to know more about us and your career opportunities?
Meet us at https://www.ifo.de/en/about-us/ifo-career
- Interesting and challenging tasks await you in one of the leading
economic research institutes in Europe.
- Insight into the methods of scientific work.
- Temporary one-year employment contract.
- Possibility to apply for an internal PhD position after one
year. The position is particularly suitable for students who wish
to pursue a doctorate in economics. After completion of the one-year
predoc, there will be vacant PhD positions in our center for which
the candidate can apply.
- Your remuneration will be in line with the collective agreement
for the public service of the German states (TV-L E10).
- Through our close connection to the CESifo network with over
1,800 members from all over the world, you will have the opportunity
for intensive international experience and networking.
- With flexible working time arrangements, part-time models at
all job levels, the possibility to work on a mobile basis, many
opportunities for further education and training as well as research
stays, we support you in your task and your personal development
and make it possible to reconcile family and career. To this end,
we also provide you with the best possible, modern and comprehensive
- Our graduates are in great demand on the national and international,
scientific and private sector job market and regularly receive outstanding
- Our institute is a very nice place to work with its own garden
and close to the Isar and the English Garden.
- Employees who move to Munich or the surrounding area from a
radius of 200 km or more receive a relocation allowance after passing
their probationary period.
- We support employees with little or no knowledge of German with
German courses on request.
Your area of responsibility
- Collaboration in the acquisition and implementation of scientific
projects in the fields of applied microeconomics and economics of
- Data acquisition, preparation and analysis
- Writing of non-technical papers for publication
- Internal support for scientific projects
- Literature research and classification of scientific projects
in the existing research literature
What we expect from you
- Master's degree in economics, or in a comparable field of study,
completed with excellent results
- A strong quantitative research background
- Statistical/scientific programming experience, particularly
in Stata, Python, ArcGIS, or R.
- Independent work and problem solving
- German language skills an advantage but not mandatory
With us, you will find an ideal working environment for excellent research.
This was also confirmed by the European Commission, which awarded us the
"HR Excellence in Research" award in 2019.
Our membership in the Familienpakt Bayern (Bavarian Family Pact) reinforces
our measures to reconcile family and career.
We promote professional equality regardless of ethnic origin, gender, religion
or belief, disability, age or sexual identity. We strive to increase the
proportion of women in research and therefore expressly encourage women
Interested? Then please send us your application documents with the
reference number 2023-004 AB-PreDok
by 12 February 2023
using the from here
Please attach a cover letter, your CV, references
and other documents relevant to your application in the lower section
of the form. Letters of recommendation can be sent directly from the
creator to the following email address:
. The letters
will then be added to your application in our system and forwarded to
the appropriate people.
Please make sure to use only .pdf files, Word documents and images in
.jpg format. Please also ensure to use short file names. Long file names
can lead to errors when sending the application. Please read the document
on attachment naming
" carefully so that your application can be
sent to us without errors.
Please use "Mozilla Firefox" or "Microsoft Edge" as browser. In case
of problems, please check if you are using the latest browser version.