University Assistant (post doc) at the Department of Philosophy
The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 184 fields of study, approx. 10.400 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position from 01.11.2022 of a
University Assistant (post doc)
at the Department of Philosophy
Reference number: 13391
The advertised position is located at the Department of Philosophy, which is part of the Faculty of Philosophy and Education. The Department of Philosophy at the University of Vienna is large in international comparison and its members are active within a considerable variety of research areas. The department furthermore offers a range of courses reflecting the breadth of the fields of philosophy while upholding the highest standards within each specialized subject area. Special focus is placed on gaining insight and developing competences in order to contribute to the discussion of current philosophical problems. This intention to acknowledge new philosophical developments and tasks is reflected in a number of co-operations and research fields of the department.
The position is vacant for the period of absence of a member of staff.
Participation in research, teaching (extent of teaching duties: 4 SWS, i.e. typically two courses each semester), and administration at the Department of Philosophy in the research area “Analytic Philosophy with Special Emphasis on Philosophy of Language”, led by Univ.-Prof. Dr. Max Kölbel. This research area currently addresses questions in:
- Philosophy of language
The successful candidate’s responsibilities will be:
- Independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement.
- Supervision of students
- Independent research and participation in collaborative research activities
- International publications and presentations
- Collaboration in project applications and the acquisition of third-party funding
- Participation in evaluation measures and quality assurance
- Involvement in the department administration as well as in teaching and research
- Excellent PhD / Doctoral degree in Philosophy
- International conference- and publishing activities in at least one of the above mentioned
- Teaching experience commensurate with stage of career
- Organisational skills and ability to work in a team
- The willingness to acquire a command of the German language
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- IT user skills
Application documents: (all application documents should be submitted in English or German) - Letter of motivation
- Academic curriculum vitae (including a list of publications, a list of courses and a list of talks given)
- Short description of courses you might teach in our BA or MA in philosophy
- Description of research interests and research agenda
- Copies of academic certificates and diplomas
- Evidence of teaching experience (including teaching evaluations)
- Contact details of two people who could provide a letter of reference
Main research field
Special research fields
Philosophy of language;Philosophy;Epistemology;Metaphysics;Metaethics
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (
http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 18.08.2022, mentioning reference number 13391.
For further information please contact Klot-Heydenfeldt, Alexandra +43-1-4277-46407.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (
http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.