The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 184 fields of study, approx. 10.400 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position as soon as possible of a
University Assistant (prae doc)
at the Department of Science and Technology Studies
Reference number: 13973
The Department of Science and Technology Studies is part of the Faculty of Social Sciences. Science and Technology Studies is a social science field with a strong interdisciplinary orientation that analyses the interactions of science, technology and society. Department research focuses on knowledge and technology cultures, the relations of techno-sciences and publics, and the governance of techno-sciences and society. We also offer the English language master program 'Science-Technology-Society', as well as a number of course formats for other programs.
The praedoc will join the group of University Professor Ulrike Felt and should focus on environmental issues related to scientific and technological innovations. This can include topics ranging from environmental disasters, over problems related to waste, digital environmental surveillance to issues concerning environmental health.
Employment duration: The announcement is made for 4 years. The employment contract is initially limited to 1.5 years and is automatically extended to a total of 4 years, unless the employer submits a declaration of non-renewal after a maximum of 12 months.
Duration of employment:
Extent of Employment: 30.0 hours/week
Job grading in accordance with collective bargaining agreement
: §48 VwGr. B1 Grundstufe (praedoc) with relevant work experience determining the assignment to a particular salary grade.
The tasks include:
• Independent research in the above-mentioned context for a PhD dissertation project
• Collaboration in research projects
• Cooperation in publications, academic articles, and presentations
• Participation in the organisation of meetings, conferences and symposia
• Independent teaching due to extent regulations of collective bargaining agreement as well as student supervision, examination activities, and the participation in evaluation activities as well as in quality assurance
• Participation in the department’s administration
The successful candidate must demonstrate the following:
• University degree (Master or equivalent) in Science and Technology Studies or in another social science field, if the applicant can provide evidence of significant prior experience in Science and Technology Studies;
• Knowledge of the theories and methods of Science and Technology Studies;
• Ability to successfully plan, conduct, and write up research;
• Excellent organisational skills, high reliability, and the ability to meet deadlines;
• Motivation to contribute to innovative interdisciplinary teaching;
• Excellent proficiency in English. Proficiency in German is a strong advantage.
• Letter of motivation
• Academic CV (incl. list of publications, if applicable)
• Degree certificate/s (incl. transcripts) of previously completed university degree programmes
• Record of teaching experience (if applicable)
• Doctoral project proposal (5 pages max.)
All documents have to be submitted in one single PDF file. Applications can be submitted in English or German.
Main research field
| Special research fields
Other Social Sciences
| Social studies of science
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (
) no later than 13.04.2023, mentioning reference number 13973.
For further information please contact Felt, Ulrike +43-1-4277-49611.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (
). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Human Resources and Gender Equality of the University of Vienna
Reference number: 13973