University Assistant (prae doc) at the Research Group Data Mining and Machine Learning
The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 178 fields of study, approx. 9.800 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position as soon as possible of a
University Assistant (prae doc)
at the Research Group Data Mining and Machine Learning
Reference number: 11805
The new working group “Digital Text Sciences” will be jointly located at the Research Group Data Mining and Machine Learning (Faculty of Computer Science), and the Faculty of Philological and Cultural Studies, with several interdisciplinary PhD and Postdoc positions in the areas of machine learning for natural language processing and computational linguistics.
This opening is a PhD position at the Faculty of Computer Science, and the candidate will work with Prof. Benjamin Roth in the area of deep learning for natural language processing.
Possible research topics are:
- Weak supervision of natural language processing models
- Extraction of structured information from text, linking knowledge graphs and language
- Identification of meta-attributes, such as authorship
- Extraction of linguistic information
Participation in research, teaching and administration:
- Participation in research projects / research studies
- Participation in publications / academic articles / presentations
- We expect the successful candidate to sign a doctoral thesis agreement within 12-18 months.
- Participation in teaching and independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement
- Supervision of students
- Involvement in the organisation of meetings, conferences, symposiums
- Involvement in the department administration as well as in teaching and research administration
- Master/diploma degree in Computer Science, or a related field
- Strong background in mathematics, statistics and/or machine learning
- Strong motivation to publish in top refereed conferences/journals
- Strong interest in recent developments in deep learning and natural language processing
- Good knowledge of a deep learning programming framework
- Very good command of written and spoken English
- Positive attitude, strong motivation to work with colleagues and students
Application documents: - Letter of Motivation including ideas for a prospective doctoral project proposal
- Curriculum vitae
- List of publications, evidence of teaching experience (if available)
- Degree certificates, and transcripts of records
- Example of scientific writing (one pdf, e.g., project report, BSc. thesis, MSc. thesis, publication)
- Contact details of two referees who can provide a letter of reference
Main research field
Special research fields
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (
http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 03.03.2021, mentioning reference number 11805.
For further information please contact Roth, Benjamin +43-1-4277-79513.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (
http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.