The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 184 fields of study, approx. 10.400 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position from 01.06.2023 of a
University Assistant (prae doc)
at The Vienna Doctoral School of Theology and Research on Religion VDTR
Reference number: 13869
The Vienna Doctoral School of Theology and Research on Religion VDTR, a structured PhD programme offered jointly by the Faculty of Protestant Theology, the Faculty of Catholic Theology and the Research Centre Religion and Transformation in Contemporary Society RaT, is looking to fill one university assistant position (prae-doc).
The VDTR combines a wide range of theological and non-theological disciplines, methods and approaches in research on religion within one PhD school. Our PhD students are part of a vibrant interdisciplinary network of researchers and are offered options for debate and networking across disciplinary boundaries from the start of their PhD studies while working for a disciplinary degree. The VDTR encourages an active peer culture and provides a supportive framework for young academics.
The advertisment is for 3 years, whereby the employment relationship is initially limited to 1,5 years and is automatically extended to a atotal of 3 years, unless the employer submits a non-extension declaration after a maximum of 12 months.
Further information on:
Duration of employment:
Extent of Employment: 30.0 hours/week
Job grading in accordance with collective bargaining agreement
: §48 VwGr. B1 Grundstufe (praedoc) with relevant work experience determining the assignment to a particular salary grade.
The responsibilities of the position include:
- Participation in research projects
- Participation in publications / academic articles / presentations
- We expect the successful candidate to sign a doctoral thesis agreement within 12 months.
- Participation in teaching and independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement
- Involvement in the organisation of meetings, conferences, symposia in the context of the VDTR
- Completed master's degree in a theological discipline (Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox) or in a humanities or social science discipline (religious studies, Jewish studies, Islamic studies, religious education, Islamic religious education, sociology, philosophy or related disciplines)
- High level of oral and written expression
- Very good command of the English or German languages, both written and spoken
- Enthusiasm for working independetly
- Experience in interdisciplinary work
- Knowledge of university processes and structures
- Experience in working abroad
- Teaching experience / experience in working with e-learning
Application documents to be submitted:
- Letter of motivation (max. 1 A4 page). Please mention the name of a potential supervisor from the list of VDTR supervisors (mandatory).
- Proposal for a prospective PhD project (max. 10 A4 pages, including references).
- Curriculum vitae (incl. publications and talks)
- Copies of degree certificates
-Proof of language skills (at least C1 in the intended language of doctoral studies - in accordance with language skills specified by the potential supervisor).
Please submit your complete application documents in one (!) PDF file to contact.vdtr[at]univie.ac.at by March 19, 2023.
In order to apply, click here
For further information please contact Katharina Limacher (
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (
). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Human Resources and Gender Equality of the University of Vienna
Reference number: 13869