The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 179 fields of study, approx. 10.000 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position as soon as possible of a
2 University Assistants (praedoc)
as fellows of the VDS CoBeNe uni:docs Programme
Reference number: 13136
Two 3-year Univ.Ass. praedoc (PhD) positions are fully paid (30 hours-week) and are based at the Department of Behavioral and Cognitive Biology at the Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Vienna, Austria. The working language at the department is English and we welcome early career researchers from all over the world. The PhD candidates will be embedded in the newly founded Vienna Doctoral School for Cognition, Behavior and Neuroscience (VDS CoBeNe) at the University of Vienna. The main goal of VDS CoBeNe is quality assurance in PhD training and education. The doctoral school stands for promotion of inter- and trans-disciplinary knowledge exchange.
The employment relationship is initially limited to 1.5 years and is automatically extended to a total of 3 years, unless the employer submits a declaration of non-renewal after a maximum of 12 months.
With this topically open call, we look for highly motivated candidates with innovative ideas. Applications shall include a proposal of a research project relevant to any research areas of Behavioral and Cognitive Biology. The group leaders/supervisors aim to understand cognition and behavior in human and non-human animals from a broad comparative perspective, focusing on proximate (mechanistic and developmental) and ultimate (phylogenetic and adaptive) research questions, which are investigated in the field, in urban environments, and in our laboratories. Within VDS CoBeNe, our program stands out for its evolutionary approach with the focus on whole organisms interacting with their environment. We integrate various conceptual and methodological approaches from biology (e.g. physiology, ecology, and neuroscience), communication research (e.g. bioacoustics, linguistics, and musicology) and psychology (e.g. comparative and developmental psychology.
- Participation in research projects and research funding applications
- Participation in publications / academic articles / presentations
- We expect the successful candidate to sign a doctoral thesis agreement within 12-18 months.
- Participation in teaching and independent convening of courses as defined by the collective
- Supervision of students
- Participation the organisation of meetings, conferences, symposia
- Participation in departmental administration as well as in teaching and research
• Above average Master's degree or similar in either biology, zoology, psychology, neuroscience, engineering, or computer science • Proficient knowledge of English • Excellent academic standing • Research experience in analysis of behavior (or similar complex systems) • Strong computational, programming and statistical skills • Genuine interest in studying behavior from an interdisciplinary perspective
Further desirable qualifications: • Previous experience in studying behavior • Previous experience in field work, video and/ or sound analysis, image processing, computer vision • Previous experience in working in a research team. A formal application can be made online via our VDS CoBeNe recruitment tool until June 30th, 2022. Planned starting date is in fall 2022.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (
http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Human Resources and Gender Equality of the University of Vienna
Reference number: 13136