Saarbrücken is your place to be if you are looking for one of the best places internationally to pursue a PhD in Computer Science. »
After your application you undergo a three-semester preparatory phase. Read more about the different phases. »
If you have a strong interest in computer science research and are about to finish a Master's or an excellent Bachelor's degree: Saarbrücken is your place! »
The Saarbrücken Graduate School of Computer Science comprises training at Saarland University in collaboration with 8 research institutes on campus. »
Please use our Online Application System and follow the instructions there.
We ask for the following materials:
- transcript of all academic records, including all university and high school diplomas (please provide certified English, German or French translations, if your documents are in another language)
Incomplete transcripts will lead to direct rejection. Informal transcripts will be temporarily accepted for application purposes.
- a brief statement explaining your motivation for pursuing a doctorate in computer science at Saarland University
- 2 letters of recommendation
(to be sent to us directly by the referees, as prompted by the OAS;
* please note that only official affiliation e-mail addresses will be considered valid; in general, we also expect at least one referee to be from the last institution you studied at
* it is the applicant's responsibility to inform their referees of their application and make sure that the letters reach us on time, ie. within a few days of the deadline.)
- if available, TOEFL scores, or equivalent record of English proficiency (TSE, Cambridge Certificate scores),
* otherwise a short statement with respect to your English qualifications. (Please keep in mind that very good understanding of English will be essential for your success.)
- if available, GRE scores (of course, providing very good GRE scores will greatly enhance chances of acceptance)
You may submit your complete application materials any time before the next deadline. There are two deadlines yearly: the end of April for the following winter semester starting in October and the end of October for the following summer semester beginning in April. Evaluation takes place in concerted selection rounds after the deadline. Please allow eight weeks for this process. All applicants will receive a decision via e-mail.
If you need an early decision for planning purposes, you may submit for the deadline a year before your desired starting semester (please specify).
The application deadline for the 2017/18 academic year is April 30th. To start your PhD in April 2018, please apply by October 30th, 2017.