The ZIBI program brings together biologists, physicians, veterinarians, biophysicists and other researchers from the disciplines of virology, bacteriology, parasitology and immunology. »
The ZIBI curriculum is custom-tailored to the needs of each individual student for their scientific and personal development. »
Start your scientific career in Berlin! »
ZIBI Graduate School Berlin
Scientists in the ZIBI program work at well-known institutes such as the Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology, the Robert Koch Institute, the German Rheumatism Research Center (DRFZ) as well as at institutes of the Humboldt University to Berlin, the Free University of Berlin and the Charité - University Medicine Berlin.
Research on infectious diseases and the immune system is a focal point in Berlin. The ZIBI Graduate School is associated to the Center for Infection Biology and Immunity (ZIBI) founded by scientists working in this field. The ZIBI Graduate School is the roof of four research training programs:
1) International Max Planck Research School for Infectious Diseases and Immunology (IMPRS-IDI)
2) DFG Research Training Group Parasite Infections: From Experimental Models to Natural Systems (GRK 2046)
3) SFB 650 Research Training Group "Suppression of Unwanted Immune Reactions"
4) Leibniz Graduate School for Rheumatology (LGRh)
Our program offers outstanding scientific training leading to a doctoral degree.
The school encourages students to conduct independent research using different approaches such as molecular, cellular, and organismal biology. Projects aim to elucidate genetic, biochemical and organismal basis of infections and immune reactions.
The mission of the ZIBI Graduate School is to develop students into creative, responsible and self-confident young researchers.
In an individual course program students are introduced to modern scientific practice and to advanced methodology. Particular emphasis is put on the active participation of the students. All students meet regularly to present and discuss their projects. They are highly encouraged to teach in seminars and courses, to invite international guest speakers and to communicate their science to the public. The school also prepares students for their scientific life after they graduate by offering career development seminars.
The students are the heart of the ZIBI Graduate School.
The ZIBI Graduate School has an active and lively student community. The collegial atmosphere assures that everybody has a productive and memorable time. The annual retreat is a particular highlight. It is organized by the students and ZIBI faculty.
Berlin is a very attractive place for national and international students to perform a PhD.
The city is a breeding ground for arts, design, fashion, movies, theater, sports and more.
Each year the ZIBI faculty offers a two weeks Summer School.
Together with invited guest lecturers the ZIBI faculty offers a summer school for a comprehensive view into infection biology and immunology. The two weeks include lectures as well as practical courses. This is an excellent way for prospective students to get to know the faculty and laboratories of the school, as well as the city of Berlin. The Summer School is supported by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
The ZIBI program offers:
- lectures, seminars & practical courses in infection biology and immunity by faculty members and invited guest speakers
- financial support for collaborative lab visits and external courses; travel allowances to scientific meetings
- monthly PhD student days and annual program retreats
- transferable skill courses and language courses for internationals
- career development information and guidance
- working contracts or fellowships that cover the whole PhD (financed by the school and the host lab)