Start your mission with DLR.
The German Aerospace Center DLR has a dual mandate as the national research center for aeronautics and space, and as the space agency of the
German federal government. Approximately 8,000 people work for DLR on a uniquely diverse range of topics spanning the fields of aeronautics,
space, energy, transport and security research. They collaborate on projects extending from fundamental research to the development of the
innovative applications and products of the future. If the idea of joining a top-class team of researchers working in a supportive, inspirational
environment appeals to you, then why not launch your mission with us?
For our Institute Data Science in Jena, we wish to recruit a qualified
Computer Scientists, Visual Analytics
Software Research for Visualization and Analysis of Big Data
Many applications at DLR produce large structured and unstructured datasets. They are not only related to scientific and technical applications
but can also be from public administrations and insurance companies. Even the public might provide data to the heterogeneous data pool. Data
analysis has to consider all sources. Just then, unexpected or unknown relationships and findings might be identified. The results again can be
the basis for decision makers in society, politics, and economy. Visual Analytics combines automatic and visual analysis methods with interactive
interfaces to the user in order to enable an iterative knowledge finding process.
We are looking for computer scientists to investigate efficient frameworks and methods for Visual Analytics in the domain of space, aeronautics,
transportation, and energy. You mission would be to contribute to the Visual Analytics group by investigating and developing new analysis and
- Design and development of a Visual Analytics module which should become an extension to DLR’s geographical 3D rendering system (in cooperation with the DLR institute Simulation and Software Technology)
- Integration of Data Mining methods (mainly contributed by the DLR institute for DLR Remote Sensing Technology Institute)
- Investigation of advanced approaches for 2D and 3D information visualization application
- Development of domain-driven scaling methods for temporal and spatial data
- Assessment of data quality and uncertainty in derived data products
- Efficient coupling of data management and data mining with interfaces for user interaction.
- Research on methods for multi-user systems and multi-touch displays with respect to cognitive aspects
- Evaluation of the overall system with respect to efficiency, user acceptance, and risk of misinterpretations
- Development of a distributed and parallel architecture with the integration of supercomputer resources
- Development of a web-based interface for citizen science
- Integration of efficient rendering methods on graphics cards
In Jena, a new DLR institute will be stablished. If you love to perform software development and want to become a member of complete new team,
we would be happy to receive your application. We are looking for highly motivated people with the ambition to initiate new projects with
other DLR institutes as well as research institutions located in Thuringia, Germany. We are offering an environment where people can bring
in own ideas. We expect that new projects are inspired and advanced methods are investigated. Part of your job will also be the presentation
of your research on international conferences and in scientific journals. We are offering an exciting, friendly, and flexible working
environment which also provides part time.
- you have an excellent Master in Computer Science or in a similar research direction
- you are an expert in object-oriented software development in C++
- you possess a profound knowledge in Computer Graphics with OpenGL / WebGL
- you knowledge about methods from Information Visualization and Visual Analytics are substantial
- you are a team player, creative, and able to work independent and self-motivated
- you are fluent in spoken and written English (knowledge of German is an asset)
- Solid training in mathematics, data mining, and machine learning would be useful
- Basis understanding of cognitive science and human-machine interaction would be useful
- Experiences with parallelization techniques (like MPI, OPenMP, CUDA) and distributed systems (e.g. Apache Hadoop) would be useful
- Software Engineering methods (Continuous Integration, Git, etc.) would be useful
Look forward to a fulfilling job with an employer who appreciates your commitment and supports your personal and professional
development. Our unique infrastructure offers you a working environment in which you have unparalleled scope to develop your
creative ideas and accomplish your professional objectives. Reconciling family and working life as well as equal opportunities
for women and men are an integral part of our HR policy. We therefore strongly encourage applications from women. Disabled applicants
with equivalent qualifications will be given preferential treatment.
If you have any questions concerning specific aspects of the job, please contact Andreas Gerndt by calling +49 531 295-2782.
Please find further information on this vacancy with the reference number 10115, and details regarding the application procedure, at