As a modern maximum-care hospital with a capacity of approximately 1,540 beds, the University
Hospital of Cologne is dedicated to the practice of innovative academic medical. At the Faculty
of Medicine 1.800 scientists are engaged in research, ranging from basic sciences to clinical
application, as well as teaching and health care. Together with the University Hospital Cologne
the faculty maintains 58 clinics, research institutes and centres. 3.400 students study in this
dynamic and innovative environment. The Faculty of Medicine and the University Hospital Cologne
are embedded in the scientifically highly active Rhine region. They have strong contacts to and
alliances with the surrounding universities and non-university research institutions guaranteeing
scientific excellence in research and teaching.
For the Executive Board of the German Center for Infection Research (DZIF) the Institute for
Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Hygiene (IMMIH)
at the University Hospital of Cologne
invites applications for a full-time position of:
Head of the Vaccine Development Office (f/m)
The appointment is for an initial period of four years and available from January 2017.
The German Center for Infection Research (DZIF) joins forces of over 600 scientists and clinicians from 35
university and non-university research institutions with strong profiles in infectious diseases to tackle
the most urgent and global challenges. DZIF’s mission is to coordinate and strategically align translational
infection research with the aim of developing new preventative, diagnostic, and therapeutic modalities
including antibiotics and vaccines.
The Head of the Vaccine Development Office will organize a project management unit to coordinate vaccine
development at DZIF. The office will coordinate and manage DZIF’s vaccine project portfolio, intensify
collaboration between stakeholders and exchange information related to vaccine research and development.
The Head of the Vaccine Development Office should have comprehensive, industrial experience in vaccine
development. The successful candidate will supervise a team who’s tasks will include translational
project management, market analysis, risk management and the dialogue between DZIF members and industry.
- Set-up and management of DZIF Vaccine Development Office
- Manage a portfolio of translational vaccine research projects within DZIF
- Oversee the design and development of vaccine projects in support of preclinical and early clinical testing
- Collaborate with principal investigators
- Prepare regulatory scientific advice meetings
- Negotiate with public and private funding bodies, product development partnerships and relevant interest groups
- Report to the Executive Board of DZIF
- PhD or M.D. desired
- Preferably applicants hold a Certificate as Product Manager
- Long-term experience in biotech, pharmaceutical industry or similar environment
- Several years of experience in preclinical and clinical development of human vaccines in biotech, pharmaceutical industry
- Vaccine-related regulatory knowledge
- Insights into vaccine-related technology platforms
- Insights into business development, intellectual property and portfolio management
- In depth business knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
- Strong sense for business as well as strong organization and time management skills
Your salary will be based on TV-L.
Applications from female candidates are welcome; suitably qualified women will be given preferential
consideration unless other applicants clearly demonstrate superior qualifications.
We also welcome applications from disabled candidates, who will also be given preferential
consideration over other applicants with comparable qualifications.
The position is suitable for staffing with part-time employees.
Informal inquiries on the position should be addressed to: DZIF Main Office, Dr. Timo Jäger, Telephone +49 531 6181-2011.
Please visit http://www.dzif.de
for further information.
Have we awakened your interest? Please submit your application (including a detailed CV, list of publications,
two references and a brief statement of research interests) here online
We prefer online applications,
but you also have the opportunity to apply via regular mail
by 31. March 2017
quoting the reference number e430
Institut für Medizinische Mikrobiologie, Immunologie und Hygiene (IMMIH)
Dr. Viktoria Linne