Postdoctoral Position (m/f/div) in Human Visual Psychophysics with fMRI / MRI
(TVöD Bund E 13, 100%)
The Department of Sensory and Sensorimotor Systems (PI Prof. Li Zhaoping) at the Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics and at the University of Tübingen is currently looking for highly skilled and motivated individuals to work on projects aimed towards understanding visual attentional and perceptual processes using fMRI / MRI. The framework and motivation of the projects can be found at https://www.lizhaoping.org/zhaoping/AGZL_HumanVisual.html
The projects can involve, for example, visual search tasks, stereo vision tasks, visual illusions, and will be discussed during the application process. fMRI / MRI technology can be used in combination with other methods such as eye tracking, TMS and/or EEG methodologies, and other related methods as necessary. The postdoc will be working closely with the principal investigator and other members of Zhaoping's team when needed.
- Conduct and participate in research projects, such as lab and equipment set up, data collection, data analysis, writing reports and papers, and presenting at scientific conferences
- Participate in routine laboratory operations, such as planning and preparations for experiments, lab maintenance, and lab procedures
- Coordinate with the PI and other team members for strategies and project planning
- Coordinate with the PI and other team members for project planning and supervision of student projects or teaching assistance for university courses in our field
Who we are:
- PhD in neuroscience, psychology, computer science, physics, or a related natural science or engineering field
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Highly skilled in techniques of human visual psychophysics, such as eye tracking, Matlab programming for experiments, experimental data taking, data analysis, and paper writing
- Highly skilled in fMRI experiments and data analysis
- Experience in project management is highly desired
- Strong command of English; knowledge of German is a plus
We use a multidisciplinary approach to investigate sensory and sensory-motor transforms in the brain (www.lizhaoping.org)
. Our approaches consist of both theoretical and experimental techniques including human psychophysics, fMRI imaging, EEG / ERP, and computational modelling. One part of our group is located in the University, in the Centre for Integrative Neurosciences (CIN), and the other part is in the Max Planck Institute (MPI) for Biological Cybernetics in the Department for Sensory and Sensorimotor Systems. You will have the opportunity to learn other skills in our multidisciplinary group and benefit from interactions with our colleagues in the university, at MPI as well as internationally. This job opening is for the CIN or the MPI working group. The position (salary level TVöD Bund E 13, 100%) is for a duration of two years. Extension or a permanent contract after two years is possible depending on situations. We seek to raise the number of women in research and teaching and therefore urge qualified women to apply. Disabled persons will be preferred in case of equal qualification.
The position is available immediately and will be open until filled. Preference will be given to applications received by March 19th, 2023
. We look forward to receiving your application that includes (1) a cover letter, including a statement on roughly when you would like to start this position, (2) a motivation statement, (3) a CV, (4) names and contact details of three people for references, (5) if you have them, transcripts from your past and current education listing the courses taken and their grades, (6) if you have them, please also include copies of your degree certificates, (7) you may include a PDF file of your best publication(s) or other documents and information that you think could strengthen your application. Please use PDF files for these documents (and you may combine them into a single PDF file) and send them to email@example.com
where also informal inquiries can be addressed. Please note that applications without complete information in (1)–(4) will not be considered, unless the cover letter includes an explanation and/or information about when the needed materials will be supplied.
For further opportunities in our group, please visit https://www.lizhaoping.org/jobs.html.