At Helmut Schmidt University / University of the Federal Armed Forces Hamburg (HSU / UniBw H), Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Professorship for Experimental Physics and Materials Science (Univ.‑Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Kip), two positions are available from the next possible date as a
Research Assistant (m/f/d)
(salary group 13 TVöD / German civil service pay scale; 26 hours per week)
for a limited period of 3 years.
The main areas of research of the professorship concentrate on the areas of photonics and integrated optics for various applications such as waveguide lasers, optical amplifiers or fibre-optic sensors.
In the two research projects to be worked on, optical waveguides for nonlinear and active photonic devices are to be fabricated and characterized. In the first project, waveguides will initially be produced in novel laser crystals with the help of modern methods such as ion implantation, femtosecond laser structuring and ultra-precise diamond sawing. These will then be used to realize miniaturzed continuous and pulsed waveguide lasers. In the second project, the wavelength range that can be used for the nonlinear crystal lithium tantalite is to be extended to the near UV range by suitable doping and material treatment. The aim here is to significantly improve nonlinear frequency conversion in the blue spectral range in fabricated waveguides to such an extent that highly efficient sources for entangled photons can be built for applications in quantum technologies.
- Work on one of the research projects described above
- Presentation and publication of research results
- Assistance in teaching to the extent of basically 2,0 trimester hours per week
- Possibility of further academic qualification (e.g. PhD or habilitation)
- Carrying out general administrative work as well as academic activities in academic self-administration
- A completed university degree [Diplom (univ.) or Master] with good grades in physics or photonics, or in a closely related scientific or technical discipline
- Very good knowledge of German and / or English, both written and spoken
- Good knowledge in the field of photonics and optical materials
- Experience in experimental work, e.g. in the field of optical technologies, photonics or laser technology
- Initiative and willingness to work in a team
- Strong interest in scientific work and the ability to teach
Features of this position:
- Professional clean room area
- Excellently equipped laser laboratories
- Capital-forming benefits
- Annual bonus payment
- Company pension scheme
- Flexible working hours
- HVV-ProfiTicket (job ticket) with employer subsidy if the necessary requirements are met
- You will benefit from targeted personnel development and an extensive range of further training and education opportunities.
- Budget-friendly meals in the campus canteen with three meals a day
- You have the opportunity to participate in company health measures (for more information, see: www.hsu-hh.de/bgm/).
- Free parking on the campus grounds
- Possibility of using the Bundeswehr's own car-sharing service (for more information, go to: www.bwcarsharing.de).
For questions related to scientific or technical aspects, please contact Univ.‑Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Kip, Tel.: 040/6541-2457 or by e-mail: email@example.com
The employment is based on the collective agreement for the public service (TVöD) in conjunction with the Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz (WissZeitVG). In principle, the activities correspond to pay group 13 (E13). However, the actual classification depends on the fulfilment of the relevant collective agreement and personal requirements.
Applications from women are expressly encouraged. Women will be given preferential consideration in areas in which they are underrepresented, if they demonstrate the same eligibility, capabilities and professional performance, provided that the reasons relating to the person of a competitor do not prevail. We expressly welcome applications from severely disabled persons and persons with equivalent disabilities. Severely disabled persons and their equals will be given preferential consideration in cases of equal suitability, ability and professional performance. Only a minimum level of physical aptitude is required of them. The fulfilment of further prerequisites of the job announcement is considered individually.
More information about the university and the professorship can be found at: www.hsu-hh.de
Please send your application with the usual documents exclusively in electronic form (pdf file), quoting the reference number ET-0123, by 20.02.2023
Information on data protection in the application process can be found on the website www.hsu-hh.de under the heading “Universität – Karriere – Datenschutzinformationen”.
Applications without reference number will not be considered and will be deleted immediately for data protection reasons.