The Weierstrass Institute for Applied Analysis and Stochastics (WIAS) is an institute of the Forschungsverbund Berlin e.V. (FVB). The FVB comprises seven non-university research institutes in Berlin which are funded by the federal and state governments. The research institutes belong to the Leibniz Association.
MaRDI (Mathematical Research Data Initiative https://www.mardi4nfdi.de
) is one of the 26 consortia, funded by the BMBF and the GWK, within the National Research Data
Infrastructure (NFDI - https://www.nfdi.de
WIAS invites applications for a
Research Associate (f/m/d)
for mathematical research data in image processing and biomedical sciences
in the Research Group
“Stochastic Algorithms and Nonparametric Statistics“
(Head: Professor Vladimir Spokoiny) devoted to the topic “TA4: Cooperation with other disciplines“
, starting as soon as possible.
You will be a part of a Germany-wide team responsible for the development of infrastructures for mathematics, implementing the FAIR principles and supporting Open Science.
The work tasks include:
We are looking for:
- Document and analyse workflows in the area of image processing
- Standardize mathematical descriptions of mathematical methods in biomedical sciences
- Contribute to the MaRDI knowledge graph
- Support the development of the "MaRDI Portal for Interdisciplinary Exchange" through data integration based on case studies
- Shape MaRDI by contributing new ideas
Applicants with university degree preferably in mathematics, natural science, engineering, computer science or related fields. An interest in image processing or the application of mathematics in biomedical sciences.
Skills and experience (with the following are desirable but can also be learned on the job):
What we offer:
- Knowledge of representation methods and knowledge graphs
- Tools for collaborative work (GitHub, gitlab)
- Scripting languages
- Experience in working on projects in spatially distributed workgroups
- An open and supportive working environment.
- A versatile job in a modern equipped institute, located in Berlin-Mitte.
- A place within the research group "Stochastic Algorithms and Nonparametric Statistics" at WIAS (Head: Professor Vladimir Spokoiny).
- The opportunity to be a part in building an infrastructure for future data-driven mathematical research.
- WIAS Berlin is a premier research institution known for its strength in mathematical modeling, optimization, dynamical systems, and applied mathematics in general.
- Payment according to the collective agreement for the public service (TVöD Bund) including the usual social benefits (30 vacation days in a 5-day week, company pension plan); subsidy for the company ticket for public transport.
- Mobile working
- A certified (Audit berufundfamilie) family-friendly work environment.
- Berlin offers endless opportunities to enjoy life outside work. Neither the job nor living in Berlin requires German language (although WIAS offers free German courses).
We highly welcome international applications. Scientifically, Berlin offers a rich landscape with numerous opportunities for research, as well as job prospects in academia and industry.
Technical queries should be directed to Dr. Karsten Tabelow (firstname.lastname@example.org
The working hours are 29,75 hours per week (75%) and the position is initially limited until September 30, 2026.
The Weierstrass Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We explicitly encourage female researchers to apply for the offered position.
Among equally qualified applicants, disabled candidates will be given preference.
Please upload complete application documents including cover letter, curriculum vitae, photocopies of certificates, and transcripts as soon as
possible via our online job-application facility
using the button
The advertisement is open with immediate effect and will remain open until the position will be filled.
We are looking forward to your application!