Bitte beachten Sie: Diese Stellenanzeige ist nicht mehr aktiv.
Entdecken Sie hier weitere Stellenanzeigen auf academics, dem führenden Stellenmarkt für Wissenschaft und Forschung. Um regelmäßig per E-Mail über passende Stellen informiert zu werden, können Sie sich jederzeit kostenlos registrieren.
University Assistant (post doc) at the Department of Astrophysics
Veröffentlicht am(vor 137 Tagen)
The University of Vienna (19 faculties and centres, 178 fields of study, approx. 9.600 members of staff, about 92.000 students) seeks to fill the position from 01.03.2019 of a
University Assistant (post doc)
at the Department of Astrophysics
Reference number: 9222
We offer a postdoctoral research position on stellar dynamical archeology in the group of Prof. Glenn van de Ven in the Department of Astrophysics.
We seek an outstanding candidate to work in our research team to further develop and apply our novel population-dynamical models to nearby galaxies observed with integral-field unit spectrographs such as MUSE at ESO's Very Large Telescope. By fitting simultaneously the extracted stellar motions and population properties, the aim is to uncover the luminous and dark matter distribution of these galaxies as well as to unravel their formation history. You will have the opportunity to work within a dedicated team on forefront science, while profiting from the international environment in the Department of Astrophysics within the lively city of Vienna. Our team has privileged access to the Vienna Scientific Cluster super-computing facility. You have access to ESO's world-leading observing facilities and opportunities to get involved with instrument projects. You participate in teaching and supervision of students. Generous financial support is available to attend international meetings as well as to invite science collaborators.
The starting date can be as early as 1 March 2019 until latest fall 2019 and the duration is for 4 years.
Active participation in research, teaching and administration. This involves
- Developing and strengthening an independent research profile
- Involvement in research projects
- International publications and presentations
- Responsibility for project application and the acquisition of third-party funding
- Independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement
- Supervision of students
- Participation in evaluation meassures and quality assurance
- Involvement in administration (in particular for research and teaching)
- Doctoral/PhD degree in astronomy / astrophysics with affinity for programming or in computer science / applied mathematics with affinity for astronomy
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Excellent communication skills
- Very good programming skills
- Good research profile
- Ability to work in a team
The position will involve the extension and synergy of our Schwarzschild orbit-superposition and discrete chemo-dynamical numerical codes. The combination of computationally intensive stellar population and dynamical models applied to state-of-the-art spectroscopic data will require novel optimisation algorithms and efficient programming. Therefore, it is an asset if the successful candidate has:
- Experience in stellar dynamical modelling
- Experience in stellar population modelling
- Experience in stellar spectroscopy
Further desirable qualifications are:
- Experience in teaching and training
- Experience in (co-)supervising students
- Experience in (co-)organising events
Your application should be in English, and a single PDF file that includes
- Letter of motivation
- Academic curriculum vitae (with a list of publications and presentations)
- Statement of research interests (maximum of two pages)
Furthermore, you should also arrange for three persons to send a recommendation letter to email@example.com (mentioning reference number 9222) by the closing date.
Main research field
Special research fields
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (
http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 16.01.2019, mentioning reference number 9222.
For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (
http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Um unsere Webseite optimal gestalten und fortlaufend verbessern zu können, verwenden wir Cookies. Durch die weitere Nutzung der Webseite stimmen Sie der Verwendung von Cookies zu. Weitere Informationen sowie Hinweise dazu, wie Sie die Speicherung der Cookies verhindern können, finden Sie in unserer Datenschutzerklärung.