European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km long X-ray
laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and
other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a
wide range of experimental techniques. User operation will start in September 2017.
The European XFEL GmbH is opening the position of the
Administrative Director / Managing Director (f/m)
The Administrative Managing Director
- contributes to the development of the overall policy, strategic planning, and represents the Company together with the other Managing Director (Chairperson of the Management Board)
- provides leadership in particular to the administrative groups (Finance/Controlling; Human Resources; Legal, Procurement; User Office; and Records Management, Editing & Library)
- is the director responsible for technical safety and security
- reports to the Council (shareholders’ assembly)
- has the accountability for the effective management, coordination and follow-up of activities associated with high-level committees and working groups, especially the Council and the Administrative and Finance Committee
- promotes internally the further development of leadership culture, diversity and equal opportunities policy
The Company is looking for an experienced senior administrator with a university degree preferably in Business Administration, Economics, Law or related discipline. The successful candidate should possess:
- Extensive management and administration experience, preferably in a (international) research or scientific organization
- Proven track record in working in a multi-discipline and multi-cultural environment
- Experience in reporting to and formulating policies for submission to governing bodies, and in their implementation and tracking
- Successful track record of resolving complex administrative and personnel issues including providing solutions for implementation
- Documented background in the cost effective management of complex project structures
- Successful track record in leading and managing teams within the work area
- Capacity to focus on priorities and to set and revise objectives of the different groups
- Excellent communication skills
- Cooperative leadership style
- Ability to work as a team player in the Management Board
- Ability to inspire and engage the staff
For additional information please contact Prof. Dr. Robert Feidenhans'l (email@example.com
General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be
Reference number: A-109
For this management position we offer an attractive remuneration package. In addition, European XFEL provides broad
relocation benefits. The European XFEL GmbH intends to achieve a widely international staff. The initial duration of the contract is five years. Extension is possible.
Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
The working language of European XFEL is English, hence fluency in spoken and written English is a must. The relationships to the legal environment,
the local authorities and the surrounding community also require a good knowledge of German.
If you are interested in this position, please apply online here
and provide a motivation letter and a CV in English, as well as your references in one pdf-file.