Assistant Professor GIScience (fulltime)
Professors, associate professors, assistant professors and lecturers
Natural Sciences, Engineering
38.0 hours per week
€ 3475 - € 5405
University of Twente (UT)
You will conduct international high-quality research and contribute to developing the departmental research portfolio.
You will teach Masters level coursework, supervise MSc theses, and contribute to the development of new courses including
face-to-face, blended learning, and distance learning, preferably based on open source solutions. You will supervise PhD
students in combination with a departmental professor and will engage in acquisition and implementation of consulting tasks
for the department. You will undertake management and administration tasks within the department and will acquire and/or
participate in new research, educational and capacity building projects.
Information and application
- You possess a PhD in geographic information science or a topic related to one of the three core GIP domains (see below).
- You have a proven expertise in least one of the following three core domains of the GIP department: geodata engineering (e.g.
linked data, NoSQL, and distributed processing environments), geovisualization (e.g. interactive dashboards, web mapping, 3D, and
augmented or virtual reality), and spatio-temporal analytics (e.g. online and deep learning or other scalable approaches to build
data-driven models using artificial intelligence and/or machine learning).
- You have an excellent publication record in the above domains or application areas
- You have a proven track record of working with different geo-computational tools, and have sufficient knowledge of Python to teach programming
skills, and to move your research beyond the limits of common-off-the-shelf analytical software. Knowledge of other programming/scripting languages and/or of cloud computing is an advantage.
- You are able to combine and extend the current knowledge and know-how on the three core departmental domains
- You have an aptitude for teaching, including lecturing and tutoring at an academic level. If you do not have it yet, you will have to acquire a University Teaching Qualification within the first two years.
- You have an affinity with a multi-cultural, post-graduate education environment.
- You have a willingness to undertake international travel to less developed countries.
- You will have an excellent command of English. Knowledge of, or willingness to learn Dutch is an advantage.
Additional information regarding the position can be obtained from Prof. Dr. M.J. Kraak (e-mail: email@example.com
, phone: +31 53 4874463).
You are also invited to visit our homepage
Please submit your application before 1 October, 2017 (choose "apply here" below). Your application has to include (i) a motivation letter
clearly stating how you meet the selection criteria and also outlining your research and teaching interests and (ii) a detailed CV with references.
Conditions of employment
We offer an inspiring and challenging international environment. You will be initially employed for a period of two years. Extension of the employment after this period is a possibility.
The University of Twente.
- Gross monthly salary between € 3475,- and € 5405,- depending on experience and qualifications (job profile Assistant Professor level 1 or 2).
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%
- Excellent support for research and facilities for professional and personal development.
- A solid pension scheme
- Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave
- Minimum of 29 holiday hours in case of full-time employment
We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which drives change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university in the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. The University of Twente has a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out pioneering research.
The Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC)
of the University of Twente provides international postgraduate education, research and project services in the field of geo-information science and earth observation using remote sensing and GIS. The aim of ITC's activities is the international exchange of knowledge, focusing on capacity building and institutional development in developing countries and emerging economies.