Scientific Staff at the Research Group Communication Technologies
The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 178 fields of study, approx. 9.800 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position as soon as possible of a
at the Research Group Communication Technologies
Reference number: 10718
We are looking for a motivated student interested in pursuing a PhD on developing the foundations of a next generation of reliable networks: networks which are highly automated, and verify and correct themselves autonomously, relying on formal methods. Communication networks have become a critical infrastructure of our society and hence come with stringent requirements on dependability. We believe that automation can improve reliability: many network outages these days are due to human errors.
The research position is fully funded through a joint project between the University of Vienna and the University of Aalborg. The PhD position is offered at the Faculty of Computer Science at the University of Vienna, in Austria. The candidate will be given the opportunity to collaborate with Aalborg university and also engage into longer visits, if she/he is interested.
The candidate should have a strong background in formal methods, model checking and algorithms, and be knowledgeable about communication networks, with a strong interest in this application domain.
We offer a productive research environment and excellent contacts to other universities as well as industry interested in this application domain. While our goal is to lay the theoretical foundations of such networks, we also plan to prototype our ideas and ideally make a practical contribution.
For an idea on the kind of research we are doing in this area, please see the sample publications accessible via the links below.
Please do not hesitate to contact me for any further information.
Some related papers:
P-Rex: Fast Verification of MPLS Networks with Multiple Link Failures, ACM CoNEXT 2018: https://www.univie.ac.at/ct/stefan/conext18.pdf
Polynomial-Time What-If Analysis for Prefix-Manipulating MPLS Networks, INFOCOM 2018: https://www.univie.ac.at/ct/stefan/infocom18prefixnet.pdf
Areas of work:
Participation in research and administration:
- Participation in research projects / research studies
- Participation in publications / academic articles / presentations
- Involvement in the organisation of meetings, conferences, symposiums
- Involvement in the department administration as well as in research administration
- Professional competence in theoretical computer science, algorithms and programming. Familiar with basic networking concepts.
- Master-Diploma (or equivalents) with distinction in computer science, electrical engineering, mathematics, or a related field; focus on algorithms and/or optimization.
- Methodological competence in modelling, optimization, algorithms.
- Didactic competence
- High ability to express yourself both orally and in writing
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- IT user skills
- Ability to work in a team
Desirable qualifications are
- Teaching experience / experience of working with e-learning
- Knowledge of university processes and structures
- Experience abroad
- Basic experience in research methods and academic writing
- Letter of motivation
- Academic curriculum vitae
- List of publications, evidence of teaching experience (if available)
- Short doctoral project proposal
- Degree certificates
Main research field
Special research fields
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (
http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 15.04.2020, mentioning reference number 10718.
For further information please contact Schmid, Stefan +43-1-4277-78610.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (
http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Um unsere Webseite optimal gestalten und fortlaufend verbessern zu können, verwenden wir Cookies. Durch die weitere Nutzung der Webseite stimmen Sie der Verwendung von Cookies zu. Weitere Informationen sowie Hinweise dazu, wie Sie die Speicherung der Cookies verhindern können, finden Sie in unserer Datenschutzerklärung.