The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 184 fields of study, approx. 10.400 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position as soon as possible of a
University Assistant (prae doc)
at the Faculty of Earth Sciences, Geography and Astronomy
Reference number: 13631
The Vienna International School of Earth and Space Sciences (VISESS) is soliciting applications for PhD positions (University Assistant (predoc)) within the Faculty of Earth Sciences, Geography and Astronomy at the University of Vienna. As humanity is facing grand challenges such as climate change and resource depletion, this doctoral school at the University of Vienna is addressing these and other challenges through interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary academic research connecting the COSMOS with planet EARTH, its environment and the ANTHROPOSPHERE. We aim our students to become world-leading experts in either of these three branches while also confidently communicate and contribute across all three branches. We want our school to become a central place in the heart of Europe for training and as a resource of knowledge about our place in space and time.
The employment relationship is initially limited to 1.5 years and automatically extended to a total of 4 years, unless the employer submits a declaration of non-renewal after a maximum of 12 months.
Duration of employment:
Extent of Employment: 30.0 hours/week
Job grading in accordance with collective bargaining agreement
: §48 VwGr. B1 Grundstufe (praedoc) with relevant work experience determining the assignment to a particular salary grade.
The positions aim to deepen and extend the professional and scientific education targeting a doctoral degree. For tasks and responsibilities please refer to the respective project description at https://visess.univie.ac.at/how-to-apply/.
Tasks and responsibilities might include:
● Independent research and development of an academic profile targeting a doctoral degree. We expect the successful candidate to sign a doctoral thesis agreement within 12 months.
● Participation in research, teaching and administration of the research group /department
● Participation in publications / academic articles / presentations
● Participation in teaching and independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement
● Supervision of students
● Participation in evaluation activities and in quality assurance
● Involvement in the organisation of conferences, workshops, meetings
● Project-specific tasks and responsibilities as described in the respective project description.
● Astronomy / Geography / Earth Sciences / Environmental Sciences or related disciplines: Master's degree or equivalent (depending on the project, please refer to the respective project description)
● Excellent command of written and spoken English
● Project-specific qualifications as described in the respective project description
Desirable qualifications are depending on the respective project (please refer to the project descriptions)
Please find information on the application process and application documents here: https://visess.univie.ac.at/how-to-apply/
Main research field
| Special research fields
| Astronomy;Space exploration;Astrophysics
Human Geography, Regional Geography, Regional Planning
| Regional research;Political geography;Economic geography;Environmental policy;Social geography
At VISESS’ website
potential candidates can find further information about PhD projects and conditions, and submit their application no later than 15.04.2023, mentioning reference number 13631.
For further information please contact
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (
). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Human Resources and Gender Equality of the University of Vienna
Reference number: 13631